free website stats program 09 Heritage oil level | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Heritage oil level

DANNY MC

Hiya people,still new on here,slowly gettin through threads but just lookin for some assurances ref my oil level.Here goes,when hot my oil level is about 5mm off the full (HOT) mark and just about half way between fill(cold) and full(hot) when engine cold,only done 800mls,should it be topped off or am i good to go,this level has been pretty constant over last couple of hundred miles,never really checked it for the first couple hundred(new bike and all that)look forward to ur advice,cheers

Cheers fellas,manual says deffo on side stand(jiffy) says to allow to idle upright for 2min then place on stand then check,thanks guys

Softails are normally checked stright up! Check owner manual just to be sure on 09's.
Touring bikes are checked on jiffy stand.
Cold half way hot near full. as long as you are at half way point cold your good to ride then check when it gets hot you DO NOT have to get right to the full mark.
Over filling is not good.
CHECK your owners manual for 09 as far as I know they have never chnaged softail to checking on jiffy stand.
CHECK oil before during and after ride it is in your intrest to get in that habbit now.
Different riding condition can effect how much oil you use.

My 06 manual says to check it on jiffy

hi awall,just double checked owners manual and deffo on jiffy stand,idle upright on level ground,then on jiffy for check,also gave 2 local dealerships (preston,manchester) a call and they both confirmed the above check,somethin wrong if uk/usa manuals are contradicting each other.

Care must be taken when posting about the proper procedures for checking the different oil levels. The older bikes were checked on the side stand except for the softails where the newer ones , some get checked on the side stand and others straight up. It's hard to keep up with the changes in the models and how they are checked.

Cheers 4 the advice fellas,but heres another one for you...Had 1000 mile service done at dealership(heritage classic 09), then next day went to france,done approx 860miles all in,apart from about 50 miles it was motorway/freeway, average speed 75/80 mph.did cold oil check this am and found i was down to fill mark on d/stick,rode 40 mile to dealership did Hot check with mechanic and upto halfway up d/stick,got it topped up....now then prior to 1000 service not used any,very little motorway/freeway riding,just country roads/in town etc...Q-does the variation in riding style i.e motorway/freeway prolonged reasonable high speeds have a bearing on oil usage?..sorry this is a long winded question,but its my first hd so not sure if this is the norm, p.s wife has Nightster 09,did same trip and hers is fine.

Last edited:
Care must be taken when posting about the proper procedures for checking the different oil levels. The older bikes were checked on the side stand except for the softails where the newer ones , some get checked on the side stand and others straight up. It's hard to keep up with the changes in the models and how they are checked.

Doesnt it say on the dipstick how it should be checked? my last the bikes did.

Back