free website stats program 08 with buckhorns and pull back risers | Harley Davidson Forums

08 with buckhorns and pull back risers

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
Lots of people don't like buckhorns. They came on my '92 Dyna and I've learned to live with them. Your hand position is like you are holding an upside down "Y", usually 27" tip to tip width. I've experimented with pullback risers and found you need a lot LESS than you think (this is on a Dyna, but I think it translates). Try to buy your risers local with a return agreement if you don't like them. I found happiness with 2" straight risers, the fork angle automatically gives some pullback.

My Fatboy is alot older but the same probably applies. I too wanted more pullback (more than I wanted height). I went with the Wild One Chubby Heritage bars. 10 inches of height and 13 inches of pullback. I had to change the front brake line and extend electrical. I love em. :D

Here's a bad pic., but you can get an idea of the angle your hands and wrists are at. That's the reason many don't like Buckhorns. I don't know the specs of Fatboy handlebars, but the one's I have ridden are wider.

Attachments

• 000_0239.jpg
    000_0239.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 47
I just went through this with my 06 Heritage. The stock bars were too wide for me, as well as a bit too far forward. My first fix attempt was 4" pull back risers, which are 4" tall and about 2" curved back. The 2" is pretty standard, regardless of the height, btw.
The risers were too tall for my cables and I didn't want to get into redoing them, so I tried 2" pull back (2" up and 2" back). That was much better. Then I thought I'd try buckhorns, but couldn't find what I wanted. I ended up with a set of Flanders bars ($$$$) called Calif Pull Backs. They were only 28" wide. Turned out to be a big mistake! The angle was all wrong, wrists started hurting, and more importantly, had trouble controlling the bike! Too narrow. Worked fine on my Low Rider, but that's a smaller, lighter, bike. Went back to the stock bars and played around with the angle and the 2" pull back risers. Gonna stick with them.
Anyone wanna buy a set of used once Flanders?

Don't have any pics but will try to post some in the next few days. If you sit on a newer Heritage I think you will get the idea. I also like the bars, much thicker than stock and inch and a quarter. I put new bushing in when doing the bars also.

Back