free website stats program 08 Ultra Steering Head | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra Steering Head

Vibratinharley

I had a HD mechanic test ride my bike Yesterday for front wheel noise and when he came back ( didn't hear noise) he said front end was loose and steering head needed to be adjusted. He couldn't do it then due to his busy schedule for the day. I was told it takes 1 1/2 hrs to do this job and that radio has to be removed? I have had fairing front off and that seems fairly easy with only 7 screws to remove it but what is involved in removing radio? Anybody here do this service or do you take it to dealer? I take it this is normal wear and not warranty.

Normal wear on a 2008 model? How many miles do you have on her?

Me personally, even if I thought I could handle the fairing and radio removal, I wouldn't be messing with something as critical as the steering head. Just me, though!

Isn't the warranty fender to fender for 2 years?

yeah but I was thinking this is loose due to wear as bike has 6500 miles on it and I am assuming it is like clutch adjustment and stuff like that. The service manual says I believe next check for this is at 10K or was it 20K either way steering is too loose to wait as it clunks when going over bumps.

The outer fairing and radio need to be removed for access to the steering stem nut.hour and a half eh?We get an hour for dressers.The bearings aren't necessarily loose it could be just the steering stem nut.But if it's clunking get it taken care of.Oh and there are 4 screws that mount the radio to the brackets.And they're a bit of a pain to get to.A long 3/16" ball type allen socket is what I use.And a bit of patience.

The outer fairing and radio need to be removed for access to the steering stem nut.hour and a half eh?We get an hour for dressers.The bearings aren't necessarily loose it could be just the steering stem nut.But if it's clunking get it taken care of.Oh and there are 4 screws that mount the radio to the brackets.And they're a bit of a pain to get to.A long 3/16" ball type allen socket is what I use.And a bit of patience.

Thank you very much Fisher, I have a set of these sockets from Snapon and I use them a lot. Wow, that sucks that they only give you an hour on this. Can't make much money on this job even if your fast. Am I correct that this is a normal service and not an item that is covered with warranty?

If it's a steering head adjustment, it should be covered under warranty

Damn, Thats what I was hoping too but I just talked to dealer where I bought bike ( even though I didn't want to ) and I asked them and they said it is NOT covered under warranty :small3d023: but for a price of $284. plus parts, they do it with the 5000 mile service. I changed all the fluids at 5000 and I adjusted the clutch and drive belt and I guess I will be taking a shot at doing this myself too as I won't be giving my hard earned money to somebody I don't even like. ( thats a long story involving extortion in regards to my money) I will finish the 5000 mile service myself and just follow the book and maybe even video what I do for future reference.

OK, I need some advise here because I am confused now. I mean still.
I am getting ready to Lubricate and adjust steering head last night so,
I took fairing apart and radio out last night ( took 1/2 hr) now, I am reading the factory manual and now this is the confusing part, it says in two places in my manual that the grease that you are supposed to use is special purpose grease. Now I thought this grease was just for the Dyna's and that I am supposed to use regular high temperature grease. ( something about grease melting and dripping on fender) So, is the manual right or wrong? Help? Fisher, are you there? :dknow

Back