free website stats program 08 Ultra Radio Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

08 Ultra Radio Problem

ppofootball

I've had my Ultra now for a couple weeks and have gone on two weekend trips about 200+ miles round trip and today as I started out for another to the Everglades Seafood festival my radio started cutting out like it had bad reception. I put the CD on same thing some times staying off for a minute or two at a time. Ipod, same thing. Thought it could be battery cause bike is two- three years old but only 5700 miles and the bike starts one touch and lights and everything else seems to be fine. I keep it on a tender and got the gren light.
I got home and turned to the experts here and searched Radio Problems. A couple came up over a year old but the exact same problems. Some of the cures were to have the radio upgraded. What I didnt see is if anyone had their system upgraded and did that solve the problem.
I checked the radio for my software version and it is 8.19. I went to the Harley site and that looks like the latest version.
Is anyone out there who had these problems and what was the fix?

Not sure if this will help! On my 2010 eg i had somehow had my cb turned on and it interfeared with tha reception and the sound. I can say that I`mnot too impressed with the quality , my aux input has decided not to work when I plug in my Sat Radio

A few years ago, I had the V 8.19 software upgrade on my '07 Ultra (from V8.09) and it fixed my cutting out problem. Acted like a loose antenna but when it did the same thing while playing a CD, I knew it wasn't an antenna problem.

Out of curiosity, I'll check some of the new bikes on the showroom floor.
V8.25 is the highest version I've found (so far.)

Wish there was a way to find out what each version was for. Fixes, improvements, etc., etc.

You may have to open the clam shell and ensure there are no loose conections to the radio, ie; power supply, antenna, speaker connections, hand control connections and so on. If you have the extended warranty you could always take it to the dealer.
Good luck with it.

Tubguy, my CB was on and activated for some reason I guess I turned it on when I was messing with the settings. Just deactivated it and will ride later. Thanks for the tip I think it may work.

I can see the CB radio causing things to cut out because the squelch threshold and PTT (Push To Talk) simplex (1 way communication transmit/receive) causing you grief if you have other media plugged in also. Good catch Tubguy...when troubleshooting sometimes it is easier to "isolate and conquer" by simplifying conditions and retest.:)

I've got caught in a hard rain before and had this happen also. let it dry for a couple of days and then it was fine.

I can see the CB radio causing things to cut out because the squelch threshold and PTT (Push To Talk) simplex (1 way communication transmit/receive) causing you grief if you have other media plugged in also. Good catch Tubguy...when troubleshooting sometimes it is easier to "isolate and conquer" by simplifying conditions and retest.:)
NewHD, Thanks for the pat on the back. It's the weird things that are the simple things sometimes.
Tubguy

The latest version of the radio's software is ST10 v 8.25.0. You can download it from the HD site under Advanced Audio System.

Back