free website stats program '08-Present FAT BOB/STREET BOB OIL COOLER INSTALL | Harley Davidson Forums

'08-Present FAT BOB/STREET BOB OIL COOLER INSTALL

papa_pooleo8

Just installed an oil cooler on bandit11's 2008 Fat Bob.

We did this install for less than $80.

Parts list:

1) Factory DYNA cooler. Ebay - $60

2) (2) 1/4" mip 90*

3) (2) 1/4" mip to 3/8" barb

4) 2' of Trans/Oil line

5) (4) Stainless steel hose clamps.

First thing you will notice about these -Bob's, is that the frame is very close to the factory (oil cooler plugs)

The tank needs to be unbolted front and back and place a towel under the front and back respectively. This willl lift the tank for the next step so there is clearance.

Next, unbolt the front lower engine mount.

Place a jack under the motor and gently jack the motor up, watch the rear valve cover as it will hit the frame under the tank if you jack it up to high.

Unscrew the two plugs from the oil filter housing. Some oil will drip out the bottom plug.

Prepare the 1/4" mip 90* with some (pink) thread sealant.

Screw in the the fittings untill they bottom out and are facing the shifter.

Prepare the 1/4" - 3/8" barb fitting with the sealant.

Screw them into the 1/4" mip 90*'s

After tightening by hand, use a 9/16" deep well socket to run them in.

Fix the hose clamps onto a section of the hose.

Slide both hoses onto the barb fittings and secure the clamps.

Hoses should be ran inside the frame not the outside, One hose on the inside of the voltage regulator cable, the other on the oustside of the cable.

Attach Oil Cooler. Attach hose with clamp on.

Reassemble the mount and the tank, top off with about a 1.5 quart of oil.

Check for leaks and be on your way to helping to keep the oil from breaking down and failing, insuring long engine life, and long oil life.

IT APPEARS THAT I CANNOT POST PICS UNTIL MY POST HAVE REACHED 5.

IF YOU NEED PICS PM ME
( use forum PM messaging system)

*******NOTE********

It may be necessary to grind on the outsides of the 90* fittings to give a little more clearance on the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the procedure be any different or easier for an 06 Bob? What is the best oil cooler to look for. I would have to get one cheap off of flea bay. Thanks

Back