free website stats program 08' Electraglide Classic Touring Evaluation | Harley Davidson Forums

08' Electraglide Classic Touring Evaluation

flh canuck

The Adventure:

Just returned from a two week, 5,000 km trip on our 2008 Electraglide Classic which now shows 15,000 km on the odometer. Our trip took us down through Washington, Idaho, into Utah, across Nevada then back up through California and then the Oregon Coast toward home.

The Electraglide:

The bike has a stock 96 incher with the exception of Stage 1 and oil cooler. According to the truck scales, our total weight with two people and all the gear came in at 1290 lbs. I run the Harley synthetic oil in the engine and use Harley dinosaur fluids in the trans and primary. Rear shocks were set at 30 psi.

Evaluation:

Our trip took us from 50 degrees and rain upon leaving home in British Columbia through 110 degrees in Utah and Nevada, then back to 55 degrees and damp on the coast. Fully loaded, the bike handled great and soaked up the miles with very little effort. As much as I enjoy this bike for ripping around town, the highway is where this bike really shines. There were a few times on the highway, especially when bucking a head wind, where more power would have been welcome but the bike did not miss a beat the entire trip. It seemed most comfortable doing 75-80 mph as going any faster seemed to be pushing it a bit hard. 6th gear is pretty tall and was not used below 65 mph. I was amazed at how well the bike handled the twisty bits in California and Oregon with all that weight on board but obviously the bike has been well designed for that purpose. Fuel use averaged around 40 miles to a US gallon which seems decent enough as I was making no effort to go easy on the throttle. No negatives to report with the exception of the stereo which tended to distort at high volume. Hopefully I can rectify that with some better speakers ( I must be getting old if I am whining about the stereo on a motorcycle....). Possibly one of the most important aspects was the passenger accomodations. This was my wife's first long road trip and she loved it. She found the passenger seat to be very comfortable for all day rides and had no complaints to speak off. Now if I can just get her to leave the hair dryer at home next time....

This is the fourth Harley I have owned and feel that the Motor Company should get credit where credit is due. Overall, a nicely put together machine. We can't wait till the next road trip....

Glad to read about someone having fun with no problems happening!!! BTW --- Did ya get any pics. while you were out and about??? You know how we are !!!!! :D

I will post some pics soon although I have to wait for help from my computer tech (the wife...) as I am something of an analog guy in this digital world....

Thanks for the review - and the 2009's are supposed to handle even better!

One question, do you still have the stock seat? If so, stock must be more comfortable on the EG than on my SG.

I am still using the stock seat which was suprisingly comfortable over the long haul. When I purchased the bike, the seat seemed really firm and was not as comfortable as my previous 2000 Electraglide Standard. I'm not sure if it has "broken in" or I am just used to it but no complaints now.

We made sure to stop and take a break every few hours as even a 5 minute rest kept things from getting sore and made the trip much more enjoyable.

I will have to track down a set of those "hog tunes" speakers and give them a try. After over 25 years of riding, this is the first motorcycle I have ever owned with a stereo. I was going to buy another Standard but the wife insisted on the Classic with the tour-pack and more comfy passenger accomodations. Of course it also came with a stereo and until this bike, I had no idea how great riding is with tunes. I guess it pays to listen to the wife once in a while.... Just have to make sure it doesn't become a habit...

Big difference between EG seat and SG seat the SG seat is designed for looks.
Just like the stock seat on my RG I put an EG seat on my RG

Yep, I put the Sundowner on my SG and love it so far. Can't say it looks "bad" but the stock one is sleeker looking. I'd rather have the comfort!

My wife and I just returned home with our 08 Classic, 14 days from Ontario to the east coast and back, nearly 7000 kms. Other than some rough roads in Nova Scotia and 13 days of rain, trip was great. Nothing but praise for this bike. Odometer reset stuck one day, (following 2 heavy rain days) but cleared up when everything dried, and have some squeal coming from the rear breaks now only issues if you can call them that. Also my wife's first long trip, she is still smiling and talking to me so what can i say...
As mentioned, credit where credit is due!

Back