free website stats program 07 Street Bob Clutch Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Street Bob Clutch Adjustment

harleyd72

I adjusted my clutch to take the slack out of my lever and now the clutch won't release. I've used a couple different methods, including going by the book and using the easy clutch adjustment method posted here and done them several times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I adjusted my clutch to take the slack out of my lever and now the clutch won't release. I've used a couple different methods, including going by the book and using the easy clutch adjustment method posted here and done them several times.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you do it cold? How is your cable? What was the clutch like before, any problems?

It was cold, cable is in good shape and it worked fine, no slipping or grabbing, was just getting loose. Had about 3/8" of play at the lever.

It was cold, cable is in good shape and it worked fine, no slipping or grabbing, was just getting loose. Had about 3/8" of play at the lever.

Welcome to The Forum, Remove the derby cover, squeeze the clutch, do you see the clutch moving, This will be a good sign, if you do, start over, loosen the cable first, take out the free travel, start over again with the clutch adjustment, when you get to the final adjustment at the cable, be sure you see the lever start to move away from the handle bars, dont forget to squeeze the lever several times to seat the balls in the release mechanism

How did you take the freeplay out when you first adjusted it?

Welcome to The Forum, Remove the derby cover, squeeze the clutch, do you see the clutch moving, This will be a good sign, if you do, start over, loosen the cable first, take out the free travel, start over again with the clutch adjustment, when you get to the final adjustment at the cable, be sure you see the lever start to move away from the handle bars, dont forget to squeeze the lever several times to seat the balls in the release mechanism
Thanks for the welcome. The clutch does move out when the lever is squeezed.

By going through a full adjustment, loosened the cable, adjusted the clutch, reset cable length.

Try it one more time by the book just for grins, you may have a stretched cable if you ran with too much travel for a long time

What do you mean by "does not release"? Did you fire up the bike while in neutral, hold the front brake and shift it into 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

If you did not and just tried to pull the clutch when the bike was not running, it is most likely the case that the plates are sticking due to the oil in the primary. This will cause a sensation of a non disengaging clutch if you put it in 1st and try to roll the bike with the clutch lever pulled.

Since you see your plates moving if you pull the lever though the derby cover inspection you've done earlier, I would say fire her up and try shifting in 1st.

Take care,

What do you mean by "does not release"? Did you fire up the bike while in neutral, hold the front brake and shift it into 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

If you did not and just tried to pull the clutch when the bike was not running, it is most likely the case that the plates are sticking due to the oil in the primary. This will cause a sensation of a non disengaging clutch if you put it in 1st and try to roll the bike with the clutch lever pulled.

Since you see your plates moving if you pull the lever though the derby cover inspection you've done earlier, I would say fire her up and try shifting in 1st.

Take care,
I didn't start it, pulled the clutch, shifted into first and tried to move it with the clutch pulled, it engaged and wouldn't move.

Back