free website stats program 07 roadking and Crank Runout Concern | Harley Davidson Forums

07 roadking and Crank Runout Concern

workinman

I would like some advice on what would be the best to do with a 07 road king . My problem is that I did not read enough about the 96 inch engine before I bought It. I generally try to read the forums and try to make a good choice on brand and year models. I bought a 07 road king that had 11.5 k miles on it and had apes and slip on after market exhaust. Really clean as far as I could tell. Now that I have read about the poor quality work on the crank and hd even poor way to evade warranty work , I am at a point of deciding what to do with the bike. I may just sell it and buy an older bike. It really chaps me get taken in by Harley and poor workmanship. I just wont to be practical about the bike . Thanks for any advice , however I probably wont give it away Jim:(

You do understand that what you read on this forum are the problems that the OP is having. There are thousands of 96" out there that have never had a problem. If you are really, worried have the crank runout checked. If the bike runs well and has had the normal maint. done you should be fine.

Not sure who op is but I really appreciate your advice. The forums have saved me a lot of money and grief . I drive a 12 valve dodge for one example and found about the dowl pin in the timing cover that was prone to falling out into the timing gears . The problem was know about by cummins . I read and inspected my engine and sure enough it was all ready on it was out . The forums and the internet are a big way to help the little guy out. I have worked on power generation equipment for 27 years along with other equipment. I don't know a lot about Harley so I am reading . I knew nothing about Harley so I just took a chance. From what I can read there must be a problem with the cranks how ever I don't think mine does yet. My wife likes the bike. I am not impressed . I will try to get time to check run out, I don't like the power of the Harley any way . I had planed on adding a tuner and may be a cam at some point but the weak crank has me rethinking the whole process. I am just weighing my options . Drive it and see if it develops a problem, Then spend a lot of money to have a good engine built , not sure who does that yet, or sell it and buy a older bike since my wife likes the hd so much. Thanks again for giving me some insight Jim

Re: 07 roadking

Me and two of my riding partners have '07 E.G.'s. We've had minimal problems (low idle stalling, erratic speedo) that we have taken care of ourselves. Do what you feel you need to do, but don't miss any good riding because you think it will break.

I really appreciate all of the advice. I guess I can take the wait and see approach . I did no think the engine I have made enough torque to be a problem. This stuff reminds me of the days when I worked for general motors. One of the reasons I left . Thanks again Jim

Thanks again. I had no idea who op was. At least now I know what to do if I have problems. This reminds of the lessons I learned about buying some parts from oem . You can buy oem but a lot of times aftermarket had to fix the problem . The internet was how I learned how to fix 9/10 of them. I really appreciate all of the help . Jim

Crank issues if encountered will likely happen to someone that rides it like they stole it every time they get on the bike. I wouldn't worry about it. It is talked about as a possible issue but in reality I don't see people posting they actually have experienced failures at a catastrophic rate.

Might want to read this...

Harley Davidson Forums

It would be interesting to see a poll that correlates original equipment miles to bottom end failures, I know that there must be a lot of high milers on this forum that could provide some interesting data on 100k + mile bikes and crank problems. I've seen this same pathology with every other bike manufacturers customers. If one person posts about a major problem on a forum, suddenly every bike of that make and model is a grenade waiting to explode! I don't buy it, of all the millions of twin cams out there, where are all the roadside breakdowns? I have NEVER seen a Harley broke down along the side of the road in my life except I got a flat front tire once. Sure, there are plenty of people who have seen problems but if it is such an epedemic I would surely have seen some sign of it by now?? Then again, looking for perfection in the wrong places will always lead to disappointment.

don't worry yourself to much as noted above the only people that run into this issue are people that bounce it off the rev limiter doing burn outs etc.as far as a cam goes i'd go with a cam that improves lowend and midrange since thats where you will be riding at %99 of the time...96 i'm not sure what cam to go with but on a 88 the andrews 21 grind cam is awesome in the midrange.check your run out when you install your new cams i'm betting its "A" ok

I appreciate the advice. I don't intend on doing burn outs . Just ride as I did yesterday. I don't have a tack but I will buy one. Is the crank shaft problems a function of rpms. I was short shifting the bike until I asked a few folks about how poor the engine ran. I know the certain equipment vibrate in a rpm band. All if have to go on is how the engine pulls or sounds. Not sure if that is fuel management or cam shaft design or both. I do like to drive the bike at posted speeds 75 and a little over at times when I ride with my brother. :) When passing I finally learned I had to down shift or get run over . My wife and I ride together so that and wind resistance at 75 and if there is a grade :( I was not impressed. The power needed to over come those things is a lot. Thanks again for the advice :) Jim

Back