free website stats program 07 Road King RED HOT PIPES! | Harley Davidson Forums

07 Road King RED HOT PIPES!

07 RK stock oil temp at 225 degrees looked up at rear exhaust pipe it was glowing red anyone think I have a problem here?:31:

were you idling ? or what they will turn red when they are idling esp when dark its super easy to see

Yes as the others said normal condition on a stock harley , But is this exceptable I say no , if the bike is properly tuned you will not have this glowing feature (lite show ). again due to epa standards this condition will occur.another reason why to add some type of fuel management system, and after looking in to why the change on the 02 sensors for 2010 models (the Moco has moved the 02 sensors down stream) for heat related issues on replacing lots of bad 02 sensors

AT idle you will no matter the tune unless super rich as no air flow over the pipe or in that area at all

I have to disagree , I have tuned 5 or 6 TC engines , and have aleaviated this so called normal problem , I achieve this by doing a 13.1 a/f and advance the timing 2 deg in the 900-1250 rpm range , this also make for a easy cold start. , Again the reason why the 2010 models changed the location of the 02 sensor is because the heat realted issues of burrning up 02 sensors ,moving the 02 sensor down stream is really not the most ideal location for a 02 sensor to sense the true amount of oxygen in the exhaust,but then again we are dealing with a semi closed loop system .But this is only my opinion and personal results .

I tend to think that the new placement of the O2 sensors has more to do with maintaining the almost-twice-as-strict emission standards for 2010. If you look at the chart http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/images/nbo2_afr_heat_500x280.jpg (for want of a better example) you'll see that having the sensor operate at a more consistent heat will go a long way to ensuring predictable results. Put the sensor further away from the heat source and have the sensor heat itself instead of relying on the sampled gases to do so, along with the necessary altered sample timing, and you'll ensure better consistency. That's almost a no-brainer.

What's not much of a no-brainer is how removing the cat from the system might affect the sample timing. Or what clogging of the cat might do to it.

I knew that image was somewhere on nightrider's site and just now found it in the page Narrow Band O2 Sensor | Motorcycle Performance Guide

Consider the various mention of the heat being generated as the catalytic converter burns off excess fuel on the 2010s. Kind of makes one wonder what'll happen if the sensor outputs are manipulated to achieve an AFR (talking straight gasoline, of course) of 13.8 ... Cool the engine somewhat and make the cat a heat source suitable for a small steam-powered electric generating station?

Back