free website stats program 07 nightrain dies | Harley Davidson Forums

07 nightrain dies

I have a 07 Nightrain. It sometimes stutters and dies. This doesn't happen all the time it's only once and awhile but sometimes it refires sometimes it doesn't. I got codes of P1002,P1003,P0261,P0262.P0263,and P0264. Now I have changed the fuel relay, CKP sensor, fuel filter, fuel regulator, fuel lines in the tank, as well as the fuel line check valve, plugs, and plug wires. Still the problem exists. I have had it at the dealer, and after them not listening to me they went and retraced my steps and tried to tell me it was a bad relay, this the second one in two months. They also tried to tell me that they were going to put in a new CKP sensor and I snapped telling them to look at the notes I gave them when I dropped the bike off. I'm at my wits end here anybody that can give me anything as to why this is happening would greatly be appreciated.

The Nightrain may be different than my Dyna. Do you really have a relay that is called the "fuel" or "Fuel Pump" pump relay or are you calling the system relay the Fuel relay.?

If the bike does Not restart from an "incident", what do you do to get it restarted or back home. After a while does it just pop back to normal and start on it's own?

When an incident happens and the ECM throws these 6 codes, if you clear them, does the bike stay free of any codes until the next incident.? When the next incident happens, will it once again throw the same 6 (or at least 5 of the same) codes.

How many miles are on the bike.

What fuel enrichment system are you using. (Fuel Pac, Power Commander, TFI, SEST etc)

Just to get an idea,,, how frequent does this happen. (several times over the last 6 months?)

Has your bike been reflashed for the Torque Smoothing down load? It should have already been done you can have the dealer run the VIN to verify this. One other thing comes to mind check the coil towers for corrosion and the screw on caps on the ends of the spark plugs, sounds kind of silly but I have seen this cause similar conditions:s

Yes Hoople it's a pain and I have been stranded more than I care to. It's intermittent. The relay is the only one for the fuel system. I had a PC3 on it the dealer took it off. It now has a stage 1 103ci download and it runs great when it runs. Sometimes I go weeks at a time without a problem, then all of a sudden it just dies. Sometimes it just stutters a bit and then its fine other times its a complete shut and won't start. I'm at a loss so is the dealer.

Have a friend with a earlier model. His never quit but would get a bad dead miss for a second and the go again. Found the terminals on the switch corroded. Tried cleaning but to no avail. Replaced the switch and all is fine.

When an incident happens and the ECM throws these 6 codes, if you clear them, does the bike stay free of any codes until the next incident.? When the next incident happens, will it once again throw the same 6 (or at least 5 of the same) codes.

Sometimes I go weeks at a time without a problem, then all of a sudden it just dies.

Same question. And when it dies, does it throw the same 6 codes, especially the P1002/P1003.

For now I would disregard the P0261, P0262, P0263 & P0264. The important codes are the P1002 & P1003. Are you working with a schematic? What was the color of the plastic relay you replaced. Based on the error codes, you don't have a fuel supply problem, that much I can tell you. Yes, when the relay fails to pick, (P1002/P1003),, you won't have any fuel pressure, but loosing fuel pressure does not cause the P1002/P1003. It's the other way around. Fixing the P1002/P1003 is where you must focus your efforts.

At this moment you do not have ANY devices (PC, Fuel Pac etc) between the ECM and the bikes wiring harness. The wiring is in it's native-stock configuration. Are you planing on doing the work yourself or are you collecting info to give to your mechanic.

Was the PC3 removed in an attempt to repair this particular problem or did you remove it for a different unrelated reason.

Hoople. the codes don't come up all the time. Usually after this happens I'll get 2 injector codes then all 4 then the CKP codes will follow. Their are no devices on it now other that the heavy breather kit and a Super Trapp Super Meg 2 into 1 exhaust. Yes I'm trying to gather info for the dealership mechanic as this starting to become quite a bill. Yes they did remove the PC3 figuring that was the problem. I Knew it wasn't as it was happening before the PC3 was installed recommended by another HD dealership.

---
Sorry Hoople I don't get CKP codes I get the relay codes. P1002, P1003. I was ahead of myself there.

---
Also the relay that was put in was from the dealer and it was black. The bike has 16000 miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that there are times when the bike will die and you ONLY log DTC's P0261, P0262, P0263, & P0264 without DTC's P1002 & P1003.

And then there are times when the bike dies and you see All six codes?

Don't guess at questions like this. If your not sure, just say your not sure. Because if your not sure and guess wrong, everybody will go down Primrose Lane trying to fix this bike.

Each time the bike dies you must read/record & clear the error log in order to have a clean slate so you don't just stack new codes on top of old codes.

Also after EACH time you start the bike, you MUST watch the check engine light to see if you have a historical code that was "self healed" and is no longer a current code.

Have a friend with a earlier model. His never quit but would get a bad dead miss for a second and the go again. Found the terminals on the switch corroded. Tried cleaning but to no avail. Replaced the switch and all is fine.

Which switch. Engine Kill/Run,,ignition switch or other?

Hoople. I don't check the dtc's everytime, so i'm not sure. Typically when i see the check engine light after start up it goes out after 10 seconds or so. It rarely stays on. But again it doesn't always light up after start up.

Back