free website stats program 07 883L sportster Problem!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

07 883L sportster Problem!!!!

I just got it 4 months ago. LOVE IT!! Untill i washed it 4-5 days ago. A day later i started it up. Everything is fine. Then 2 days later i want to start her up again and nothing.............when you turn key to acc it shows time on guage......when you turn to ignition ... it drowns the battery no noise what so ever..........so i checked fuses, I jumped battery then it was trying to crank but no start. And it does start on 1-2 cranks bike is like brand new it only has 4500 miles on it. I never had any problems.

Plzzzzz help.

Thanks, Gary:(

Try removing, cleaning and refasten the battery terminals on the battery. More than likely the reason it didn't start with the jumpers is low voltage to the ECM. It needs at least 9 volts to fire things off.

Last edited:
I know a little after the fact, but when washing your bike, no running water above the level of the lower side covers and around the starter/electrical bay. Might also want to use a bike blow dryer to evaporate and rid your bike of any "standing water".

There are several theads regarding cleaning and preserving methods and products. Use the <search> tab at the top of the page or go to maintenance section...a lot of good stuff in there. Make sure you use dielectric grease in all the contacts you expose, after checking & cleaning to prevent long term corrosion.

Washing the bike may just be a coincidence. I would make sure your battery is good before going too far. an '07 with 4500 miles on it means it's been sitting a lot, and if the battery wasn't taken care of it could be bad.

I had the same problem with my '04 883 after riding in rain. When I would park it it would not restart unless I jumped it off. I had a bro look at it and he explained what glider said. He took off the battery terminals, cleaned them and the contacts, and then told me to go to autozone or any parts store and get some battery terminal grease and coat them. No more problems!

well i took off the battery....terminals are fine very clean and they were dry. Then i charged it...........now when i hit start button.......a louddd click from the starter i guess like something is preventing it to turn over.....I highly doubt its the starter gone bad................Im am sooooo :bigsmiley19:

well before the water deal my battery had a solid charge like a new battery. Thanks for replying

Thanks for the info lol Im used to my dresser I used to always hose that baby and never a problem............Sportster is to exposed i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the cylinders be full of water or oil? Point the bike towards a mirror or garage door to view the headlamp brightness while you crank the engine, if the light dims to 1/2 brightness or goes out, your battery does not have enough reserve to crank the starter 160A or so plus have voltage be at least 10V to keep ignition module firing the plugs. You can test if some is bad, but not test if something is good, like a bad starter (too much draw), hydraulicking engine (filled cylinder or obstruction) or low battery reserve (low CCA) unless unit is totally gone.

Back