free website stats program 07 1200 sport WHIRRING noise | Harley Davidson Forums

07 1200 sport WHIRRING noise

BUBBIE

Friend of mine asked me today "What do you think it is?"

He described a WHIRRING noise that has just come on. More-so over the recent miles. Sounds like the front cylinder area he says...
I mentioned to take a Device to the ear and listen...:newsmile091:

07 and UP are all injected now...

50,000 miles on the bike. WHIRRING Only noticed at riding speed RPM and up.

I thought it could be the Primary chain out of adjustment as he said he has never adjusted it.
He saying it was about 3/4" loose or so when he last checked...

I think it calls out for 3/8 to 1/2 inch cold checked. Spinning it over to see IF any tight spots or Loose spots are there.

Guess here if you like and see IF we can help him look to find it.

COULD even be a tire... Never thought to tell him that OR a front wheel bearing...

I never had the time today to give it a Listen or Look...

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I would check the front tire and bearings first, have him rev it up in neutral and hold steady RPM to see if noise is present?

I've got a 883, but a carbed 03, but my bike has what I believe to be the same noise. I contribute that to the transmission. It's done it since day one and not had any problems.

It's hard to tell without listening to it, but I get a describable whirring noise and traced it to the transmission. It's not loud, but if you've ever ridden other bikes or just spent enough time on it, you'd eventually notice it.

My 06 1200C makes tonnes of noise. I have asked about it here on the forums, taken it to HD, and had indy mechs listen to it. Everyone says that it is completely normal for a sportster. I only had one mechanic tell me that I might have a Cam bearing going bad. (sportsters have the gear driven cams so that also adds to noise). But, I have yet to take apart that side yet and take a look see. I have been rather busy though.

EDIT:
OH, and by the way, I did notice that after I used the Castrol PART synthetic oil during my last oil change, that she started making even more noise. I guess oil type has a part in it as well.

OH, and by the way, I did notice that after I used the Castrol PART synthetic oil during my last oil change, that she started making even more noise. I guess oil type has a part in it as well.

My engine changed it tune when I started using a different oil too. But everyone who's listened to it says it sounds normal as can be.

I just check to make sure everything is snug, fill it up, and ride it!

Good call about snug:newsmile01:

Got an email today that thanked us for the help here....IT Was the V&H Muffler not tightened enough..Loosened over time and there was the noise...

signed....BUBBIE

Glad to hear your friend found it.

I consistently check my bikes for loose screws, bolts, or anything that might come flying off. I usually find one or two bolts that need less than 1/4 turn after every 3k miles. But if left untouched would end up being road kill and possibly leave me stranded or with a damaged bike.

Good call about snug:newsmile01:

Got an email today that thanked us for the help here....IT Was the V&H Muffler not tightened enough..Loosened over time and there was the noise...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie for the update:s

Back