free website stats program 06 xl rear wheel install | Harley Davidson Forums

06 xl rear wheel install

DZRyder

First i would like to thank Redfish Joe for suggesting Motorcycle Superstore for the purchase of my D401 Dunlop-$110 bucks free shipping-thanks.

Secondly thanks to the self helptips for successfully removing the rear wheel.

Lastly, i have read most of the posts on rear wheel install and understand belt tension, i will be purchasing the tool needed, however what is the best way to ensure that the rear axle runs parallel to the rear swing arm or the proper spacing. I etched marks on both sides before removing axle, will this be suffiecent?

There should be a small hole in each leg of the swingarm for insertion of an alignment tool
Basically its a bent bit of wire with a small o ring on it and you put it in the hole on one side and move the o ring to the cwntre of the wheel spindle then see if the other side is the same
there is a post in the self help section to show how to make up the tool from a wire coat hanger

Brian

There are 2 small diameter holes on each eside the the swing arm. Bend up a coat hanger and slide a "O" or small piece of vacumm hose over the coat hanger. Put the 90 degree bend that you made into the hole on the swing arm and slide the "O" ring up to the center of the axle and do the other side until they are equal. I believe there is info in the self helpif you don't understand my post.
kemo

Can someone post about where this small hole is located on the swingarm, I don't see one on mine (2006 XL1200R)?

If it is present, it is about a 1/8" hole located 2-3/4" forward of the rear axle centerline. If you happen to have a late model hollow axle you will also need a tool that Harley does not sell. The tool finds true center on the hollow axle. You can make one yourself for a lot less. Tag me if your interested in the specs.

Thanks. Mine does not have the small hole in the swingarm then. I don't see why I couldn't just measure the axle nut to the front or rear of the axle opening on the swingarm though. The axle nuts are the same size, and therefore, the space should be the same, right?

You probably could do it that way but it will be difficult to measure accurately to a nut flat. It sounds like you want an accurate measurement and I agree it should be because it's important to have the rear tire thrust line dead on. I am sure you know just a few thousands at the rear axle will make a huge error in thrust line angle.

I can't suggest how to do it but 1/2 of the solution to your problem is to remove the solid axle and for $10 have a machine shop drill a true center on each end of the axle. That will at least give you a true wheel reference. I can't tell you what to use as a rear fork reference point (the missing 1/8" hole) which is the other half of the problem. I have a hunch that the newer forks with the 1/8" holes are drilled in referenced to the center of the pivot point in the rear fork during manufacturing. That's something you can't do easily. Using the slots as a reference may or may not be accurate.

I have never tried it but you may want to try the 8' florescent tube trick just to see what you come up with. In theory it should be pretty close. Certainly more accurate than using a divider or measuring tape at the rear axle without accurate axle centers or fork references.

Barry here's a handy tool you can make to adjust the rear wheel alignment.
Fabricate an alignment tool using a piece of 1/8-in. diameter aluminum welding rod 21. 5 in. long. Grind one end down to a blunt point. Use pliers to bend rod at a 90 degree angle, 2.25 in. from the blunt point, as shown. Place a snug-fitting rubber grommet on rod to act as a slide measurement indicator. A small plastic tie will work also;
Insert pointed end of alignment tool in swing arm pivot bolt dimple on right side of swing arm. Slide rubber grommet along tool shaft until it aligns with center of rear axle. Measure distance from pointed end of alignment tool to grommet. Repeat measurement for left side of swing arm.
If left and right side measurements are not equal, adjust rear wheel alignment according.
XLwheeladj.jpg

Back