free website stats program 06' Road Glide Rear Wheel Adjuster Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

06' Road Glide Rear Wheel Adjuster Cams

revok1200

First, I have looked through the self help but could not find the answer to my question.

After having the rear wheel replaced I am noticing a noise that was not there before. Here comes my best attempt to expain the noise I hear (whhrrrrr). I am thinking the alignment on the rear tire is out.

I looked at the tire and noticed that the pointed end on the adjuster cam on the right side is sitting below the bottom of the swingarm, but the pointed end on the left side adjuster is flush with the bottom of the swingarm.

I may be wrong, but is this not an indicator that the alignment is off? Wouldn't the adjusters have to be exact (or very close) for the alignment to be right?

Have never messed with the rear adjustment on a touring bike, I read the manual but from what I see it only mentions the left side adjuster and does not speak to the right side.

Any help is appreciated, even a link to something I missed in the self help section.

Thanks in Advance
Revok

I don't have a cam system on my 2009 like you do,, but this is way I would treat the situation if I did. For the cam positions to be in the same exact position on each side,, and at the same time, the tire/wheel tracking true to the front wheel would be a very remote probability.

I would adjust the WHEEL to track true and where the cams fall,, the cams fall. I would never look at my rear tire being aligned, based on the cams being in the same equal positions.

Yes, you could have both worlds. That is the wheel is true and the cams are equal but I think that is just a dream. Having the wheel aligned is number 1. Then if the cams are equal,, great. If not, so what.

The noise may be the belt is too tight. Check it.

thanks for the reply, I will check the belt tension first and then make that adjustment (if required) before I venture into anything else.

Appreciate the help.

Post a pic of your adjuster. I will take a pic of my left and right sides tomorrow evening when I return home.

Don't know if this will help much, tried to get a good shot fo what I see.

Need to get to the MoCo tomorrow and see if they have the tool in stock to check belt tension before doing anything else.

Attachments

• Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
If it was my bike, I would align the back wheel while keeping the belt tension correct. Where the cams fall in relation to each other,,,so be it.
Regardless if the cams are not a mirror image to each other,,, what's more important is if the rear tire is tracking parallel to the front.

There has been past threads about rear wheel alignment. Some people eye ball it and it is good enough. I want mine to be perfect. It just depends on the effort you want to invest in having it right.

Hoople what method do you use to get it spot on?

If it was my bike, I would align the back wheel while keeping the belt tension correct. Where the cams fall in relation to each other,,,so be it.

This is what I would do too. It's entirely possible that the two cams are not in spec with each other so the more important thing is to insure the wheel is aligned rather than the cams aligned.

They both turn equally when the lock nut is broken loose and the right nut rotates the cams/axle.

Back