free website stats program 06 heritage wiring. | Harley Davidson Forums

06 heritage wiring.

jsbigone

Hi all, I'm new here and looking forward to participating in this forum.

I Wanna wire in a lighter socket and an amp on my bike. What I wanna do is wire a 30 amp relay into the acc. part of the wiring, and wire the components to the relay.

Would this be a good way to accomplish this, and if yes can anyone tell me where and what color wires or wire to wire it in to the acc.

Or is there a better way to do this. The amp is for my tunes and i will be using lighter socket for GPS.

Any advise I can get is appreciated.

Big John

Welcome to the forum.:)

Using a relay would be a very good way to do it because it would take the new 30 amp load off the ignition switch contacts. I assume you want this new high current branch to be "switched" so that it turns on/off with the ignition key. You would Not want to wire this 30 amp load after the ignition switch (or into a accessory tap) because it most likely will over-load the ignition switch contacts. I probably would go directly off the battery positive, immediately fuse it using a MAXI fuse, then onto the normally open contacts of your relay. Set up the coil within the relay to pick or energize when you turn the ignition switch on. This way the ignition switch only sees about 90 MA of extra load, which is nothing.

Remember that 30 amps is a large percentage of the entire electrical charging system. Therefore it will be easy to overload existing factory wiring and fuse holders. Therefore the best way to do it would be to use a complete separate branch or buss as described above. 12awg is way plenty to do the job. You may also want to throw a snubber diode across the normally open relay contacts in order to clamp any surges (PIV's) caused by the arching of the contacts.

30 amps is a LOT. What are you planning on running that would draw that much current? On a Heritage? (Inquiring minds want to know).

30 amps is a LOT. What are you planning on running that would draw that much current? On a Heritage? (Inquiring minds want to know).

Well I know it might be a little over kill, but this is what i got goin.

I need power For a water prrof heave duty cigar lighter that i can plug my gps into, cause the only time i really ride this bike is when i go out of town.

I'm also running an ipod amp and tunes off the breaker.

Do I have you laughing bye now? lol I got tired of pulling up to a light or gas station with my mexican bro and he's got music goin. I cant use the ipod ear buds in my ear. They dont fit and fall out of my ears.

Anyway Bro, any suggestion or input you might have would be cool, as long as its not trash the tunes, lol

Big John

You should have a (R/GY) red with gray tracer coming off acc side of the switch, it goes to the accessory fuse that is the fourth one from the bottom of the fuse pannel (15 amp). After the fuse it turns to (O/W), orange with white tracer. Didnt pull my bike apart to check this but is out of the manual. I also think 30amp is away overkill 10 is plenty to run gps, i-pod, and amp. There is also a red with no tracer comes from the battery and branches off to the 15amp batt fuse, feeds the switch, and to a circuit breaker. This may work for your hot wire to your relay. Good luck hope this helped.

Thanks for all you guys input.

I ended up running everything off of the acc. fuse output to relay going to a front toolbag under headlight. Put all my components in there and ran the cable up to where the gps mount goes, so i can just unhook and remove. Also mounted the amp and i pod in the tool bag and ran the remote up to the bars..

Im Rockin now!

Big John

Back