free website stats program 06 Fat Boy lower fairings | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Fat Boy lower fairings

dee gee

I want to put lower fairings on my 06 Fat Boy, has anyone done this? Which style vented or non-vented did you use? We have been trying a pair of vented and think there would have to be some modifications to the bottom part but my companion is concerned about the height of the fairing in that it would cut off needed cooling to the heads. I have been looking at a couple of non-vented lowers on ebay and wonder if they would work better especially in fitting the bottom to my crash bar.

Thanks

I have soft lowers but they are hard on the bike over 70 degrees because enough air does not flow over the engine. When you ride at 65-70 mph for hours it is very hard on the legs to keep them on the floorboards and pegs. Lowers help to reduce the pressure.

We got the soft lowers for the hubby's bike. They are very effective on colder mornings, and he will take them off after it warms up. They are easy to keep with the bike since they do not take up much space, not hard to put on or take off, so therefore, he uses them instead of leaving them behind. It is not uncommon to have 30-40* temperature shifts in the same day in the spring or fall.

Thanks to all who answer, but I guess because you all live in the 55 mph zone you cannot get out and ride all day at 70. Try keeping your feet on the boards or pegs without having them get tired from fighting the wind.

We rode for quite a while at 70 today, didn't have any trouble. I do have heel rests on the deuce, but hubby of course has the foot boards. Temp @ 70*, comfy, he didn't have his lowers on. One thing you may try is to drop the passenger foot pegs and put your feet on them for a while. My buddy showed me that trick on his fat boy. :s I do that after a while just to change things up, and it takes quite a bit of wind off of me. Especially useful when it starts getting chilly. You will notice a bit of heat from the exhaust and stuff, also helpful when I'm chilly. Let's me ride just a little bit longer. :D

P.S. My bike is really happy at @ 80 mph, but I have to be careful for speeding tickets, they frown on that at work.

I ride at 70 mph very often and never had an issue wind putting to much pressure on the legs. And as for having lowers on at warm temps, these bikes run hat enough without blocking the air movement. I would be concearned with the long term effect.
But as I've said before I'm no genius. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back