free website stats program 06 Dyna rear tire wearing out quickly | Harley Davidson Forums

06 Dyna rear tire wearing out quickly

dmz1965

My 06 Dyna Low Rider seems to through rear tires like crazy; I keep the air pressure at proper levels and 99% of my riding is on the highway. I have tried the Dunlop K591 (OEM), Michelin MACDAM 50, and most recently a Metzeler; the most I have ever gotten is 5,000 miles from any tire. Every dealer I take the bike to says there is nothing wrong but 6 tires in 25,000 miles seems excessive.

Any ideas????

Wheel alignment?

Sometimes the dealers will remove a wheel to change a tire and only back the adjusters off enough to get the wheel off (ie 4 full turns each). When they are done they return the adjusters the same amount of turns to tension the belt and never really align the wheel properly.This could be what the problem is.

Tire pressure was my mistake. I looked at it in the manual early on, quickly I might add and read the pressure for a fully loaded bike. Well, I don't ride 2 up, and rarely carry more than a day pack. So, I was over inflated for my ride.

Also, couldn't more info on how the tire is wearing help figure out the problem? Mine was thin in the center. I know on my vehicles I check the tires for wear, inside, outside, or cupping etc. Good luck there, there are lots of smart guys here that can help you get it sorted. :D

Tire is wearing flat in the center; the michelin had some cupping, none on the Metzeler or the Duplops. Although I did not have the alignment checked recently I have had it done at 3 different dealerships on previous tire changes and was told it was good.

Tire is wearing flat in the center; the michelin had some cupping, none on the Metzeler or the Duplops. Although I did not have the alignment checked recently I have had it done at 3 different dealerships on previous tire changes and was told it was good.

Always worth a look to see if they even checked it.

On dunlop tires I got about 5k miles, but after switching to the metzler 880 marathon's it's better than 10k. On my second set of Metzlers with 25k + on the bike. A quik way to check the alignment yourself is to spin the back wheel and check how the belt tracks on the rear sprocket. You should have a small gap between the belt and the edge of the sprocket on both sides. If not, then adjust accordingly. Then take it for a ride. If the alignment is good, you should be able to let go of the handlebars and have the bike track in a straight line with out it wanting to lean to one side or the other. Other than that...maybe your heavy on the rear brake?

p.s. I usually go thru 2 front tires to 1 rear...but I do quite a bit of canyon riding.

What sort of speeds are we talking about?What sort of loads;-luggage or pillion or luggage and pillion?High speed and heavy load will wear your tyres big time.(be thankful you get 4000 miles plus out of a tyre-ask an R1 or zx10 owner what they get:D)

90% of the time it is just me riding at highway speed 65-75 MPH 150 miles round trip to work with rain gear in the saddle bags; occasionally my wife rides along but normally not more than 200 miles a month.

Back