free website stats program '06 883 Rear Brake recall...? | Harley Davidson Forums

'06 883 Rear Brake recall...?

Baggh

Hey all,

I finally got my rims powder coated... semi gloss black. They look pretty sick. Nice to get it done given I have been daydreaming about making it happen for the past few months.

However, now my rear brake does not work. The guys at the shop said that Harley issued a recall for the '06 883 rear brake. Any word on this? Is this accurate? I want to believe it is but given the brakes worked fine before I brought it to them I have a feeling they may be covering up their poor work. Rims look great... but ummm.. yeah.

I'm surprised this happened given it was a custom bike shop. Hopefully they are correct about the recall and they found a real brake problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pics coming soon :)

hmmm.. nothing listed... just provided me with general check-up\ maintence time tables.. listings... but nothing that stated something about a recall.

thanks for the link glider.. appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped at the Harley shop before work this morning. The guys there stated that while pulling the rear tire the techs have to be very careful. If you pull the tire without first removing the caliper often times the slightest twist or shift can result in the caliper failing... for some reason. The explained why but yeah. The guys admitted to having this problem occur in their own shop from time to time so they understand that a custom shop could make this error as well. No recall listed.

Sooo... the Harley guys are gonna fix this weekend.. prob set me back about $100~150. I'm not gonan take the receipt to the Custom shop to have the mpay for it cause its just not worth the fuss... I just wont go back there. I've rarely seen a shop treat a Harley or a customers bike with such... hmm.. dissrespect. My seat has a white mark and indent in it looking as if they set an engien block on it or something. The seat rear mount was pinched over my rear fender bag. These guys did a good job with the actual powder coating but it took wayyyy longer than what I was told (3 days turned into 2 1/2 weeks) and, as I said, treated my bike like a hmmm... metric bike... heh.

Not going back there again. The Harley guys seemed liek the rock... hopefully I have a better experience with them this weekend getting the brake fixed.

The rims look sick though :)

Since you're not going back, I'd at least go and voice my displeasure and tell them they won't be getting my business anymore. No arguments, just state the facts about how you feel. If they're legit, they'll offer some sort of compensation, but that's not what you're going for. If somebody costs me $$$, I'm at least going to tell them about it. Tracy

Since you're not going back, I'd at least go and voice my displeasure and tell them they won't be getting my business anymore. No arguments, just state the facts about how you feel. If they're legit, they'll offer some sort of compensation, but that's not what you're going for. If somebody costs me $$$, I'm at least going to tell them about it. Tracy

+1 on that, if not in person, over the phone or right a letter.....If it was me I would talk to the owner personally, even if the owner was the who did the wrong, at least tell him. If he has half a brain he should know one dissatisfied customer does twice the damage the a satisfied customer does good.

Ok.. you all talked me into it. Just out of principle letting these guys get away with shoddy work would be a trajedy. I try to be a "turn the other cheek" sort of guy but... wrong is wrong. To take your bike in to have rims powder coated for them to turn around and return my bike back with a mechanical flaw (that is gonna cost me time and money to fix) caused by their own mits is flat out wrong.

I'm prepared to take them to court if need be. An easier case couldn't possibly be on the books.

Back