free website stats program 06' 1200 Sportster starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

06' 1200 Sportster starting problem

GRISSLEHEAD

My lady friend has this 06' 1200 Sportster, she went out to start it up today.......and nothing ! A new battery was installed less then 2 weeks ago , along with Vance & Hines exhaust , new tires & new grips.
She is not getting anything when she turns the key and hits the starter button. Someone told her it sounds like it might be the starter relay or a loose wire . Does anybody know where the starter relay is located on that bike or does anybody have a diagram or schematic of that whole area that they could either post or email it to me.

Grisslehead

My lady friend has this 06' 1200 Sportster, she went out to start it up today.......and nothing ! A new battery was installed less then 2 weeks ago , along with Vance & Hines exhaust , new tires & new grips.
She is not getting anything when she turns the key and hits the starter button. Someone told her it sounds like it might be the starter relay or a loose wire . Does anybody know where the starter relay is located on that bike or does anybody have a diagram or schematic of that whole area that they could either post or email it to me.

Grisslehead

Attached is a hyperlink to the 2005 HD Sportster Manual which should get you in the ball park.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-11012.html

Check for simple things first...1) What does work, when she turns on the ignition to start bike, do the turn signals work and is the headlight on? 2) When she hits the button does she hear a *click* or what?, 3) If the engine cranks, is the engine Kill switch ON?, bike in neutral and clutch lever pulled in? 4) Was there work done to the bike that may have affected a) the battery or primary connections? b) the handlebar controls or main wiring harness?, c) TSSM security system, FOBS or ICM (Ignition Control Module), fuses etc.?

Yeah, certainly a lot of things to check...

Last edited:
Attached is a hyperlink to the 2005 HD Sportster Manual which should get you in the ball park.

Sportster Service Manual 2005 - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Check for simple things first...1) What does work, when she turns on the ignition to start bike, do the turn signals work and is the headlight on? 2) When she hits the button does she hear a *click* or what?, 3) If the engine cranks, is the engine Kill switch ON?, bike in neutral and clutch lever pulled in? 4) Was there work done to the bike that may have affected a) the battery or primary connections? b) the handlebar controls or main wiring harness?, c) TSSM security system, FOBS or ICM (Ignition Control Module), fuses etc.?

Yeah, certainly a lot of things to check...

Wow, a whole lot of things to check on this morning.................We're on our way to her place this morning to check things out. I do know that lights,turn signals do NOT come on. We will check everything else out when we get there.
Thanks so much for the input............I'll keep ya posted on the outcome.

Grisslehead

I've went 'round and 'round with HD over a non start situation in the last two years. It turns out that the Sporty is the only model that doesn't protect the fuse box from moisture. What was wrong with mine is that the starter and ignition relays had corroded terminals and were not making contact inside the fuse box. They are on the left side of the bike under the side cover on my bike. They are little "black boxes" that plug into the fuse box. Take them out and clean them with steel wool or a Scotch brite pad and then put dielectric grease on then and reinstall them. While you're in there might as well do the same for all the fuses. Mine runs great and starts every time now.:s

Back