free website stats program 05 softail noise | Harley Davidson Forums

05 softail noise

jbhunter

I'm kinda new to the Harley experiance and was just wanting to know if it is normal to have a tapping sound or ticking noise in the top end. The bike is an 05 softail springer with 6000 miles and had it's 5000 mile service about 400 miles ago. I bought the bike used and the dealer said that's the nature of the beast. It is really more noticeable with the windshield. If it was an old Chevy truck I would say that the rockers needed adjusted but other Harley owners that I know say its normal. My buddy's 06 Dyna is pretty quit but I know it's not the same engine.

Is the noise across the entire RPM band from idle on up? I find it strange but I have always had a ticking/tapping noise just at around the 2000 RPM range. At idle it is free from any lifter noise and above 2000 it is quiet once again. It may not even be lifter noise but that is what it sounds like.
I am curious to see what others have to say.

I don't have a tach but I would say at that rpm it is more noticeable. If you don't have the windshield on it's harder to here but with it on it is very noticeable. I would say at higher rpm it is hard to hear but the pipes are also singing. My cousin has a 05 softail classic and he says his does the same thing.

I have a later EVO but I always hear a "Tap-Tap-Tap" in my helmet when I'm up to cruising speed (50-70 MPH). Thought it was just part of the beast and hadn't given it a thought for the past 10 years. I have a winshield on the bike.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Softail Deluxe and when i fit my Q/D Windshield the motor noise is greatly increased.Rattles and whirs and gravelly sounds.It is very noticeable and sort of detracts from the riding experience-even through earplugs.It's quite amazing.The screen traps and funnels engine sounds and probably vibrates a bit to add that noise into the equation as well.

Also,a loose primary chain can also sound like valve noise.Try adjusting yours up to spec.and see(hear) what happens.IF it quietens your noises,you might try retro-fitting the Auto primary chain adjuster of the 96" motors

These air cooled motors will make some noise , nature of the beast with a push rod engine, do you have stock exhaust, you will here more noise with stock exhaust and a wind shield, are you running syn oil they tend to be a bit louder with syn oil but it is better lube:s

S&S slip-ons. Defiantly more noise present with windshield. on. Screaming eagle syn 3. Next time I will probable go with Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

On my Deluxe 2005 when I had the stock cam and push rods I noticed the ticking around the 1200 to 2000 RPM. But just after one summer of riding I needed a little more kick when I passed someone on a two lane road. So after some research I went with the SE 204 cam and the adjustable push rods to get the extra power in passing. I haven’t noticed any more ticking and now the bike pulls longer between the gears and that’s a plus when you only have 5 gears. MD

Same here, I hate riding with windshield. Motor sounds like junk with my stock exhaust. Around 2400rpm. Sounds like it needs a valve adjustment. If anyone knows a fix, like roller rockers or such, and not a loud exhaust.,let us know.

Tell ya what road a guys 04 sporty a while back. Bike has only 2900 miles on it and stock exhaust. My bike is way more quit. Guess its just a Harley thing.

Back