free website stats program 05 Road Glide AVC question | Harley Davidson Forums

05 Road Glide AVC question

LegacyMan

At about 45mph the sound from the speakers starts breaking up; like i'm getting out of range of the signal, and it continues until about 75 mph and then clears up so i'm assuming this has something to do with the automatic volume control. Anybody had the same experience? Any help to diagnosing or if it's in the radio maybe i can send it in to RadioSound. Thanks!

A dirty pot maybe? Does it make noises when you use the volume up or down?

A dirty pot maybe? Does it make noises when you use the volume up or down?

You mean speaker pod ???

Have you changed any electronics for ignition? Might be feedback from not properly isolating ignition system.

Not that it might be the case here but are you running stock plugs? Back in the olden days when Bodeen was just a lad a none resister plug would interfere with the radio reception. I guess I'm not sure if they make those kind of plugs anymore.

You mean speaker pod ???

Have you changed any electronics for ignition? Might be feedback from not properly isolating ignition system.

Nope. I mean a Potentiometer (POT). A variable resistor. If it gets dirty it makes the noise as described. These were prevalent when you guy's were lads too! :D

When I'm cleaning the bike i will often have the radio on and i can raise and lower the volume without any problems. It works and sounds good. On my way to work i travel stop and go metropolitan traffic and interstate speeds. It's not often i have to change the volume but when i do it works perfectly; no popping or bad spots in changing the volume like my 61 chevy has. At about 45mph it sounds like the speakers are under water. The sound is garbled all the way to about 75mph. When i slow down to under 45 it clears back up. It sounds like it also clears up around 80mph+ but it's hard to tell because of the wind & exhaust noise.
The bike is stock except for the exhaust and tour pack with an amp under it for the rear speakers.
I have put in new plugs recently but this problem is not ignition static. I will have it up on the jack this weekend and check plug wire routing and ignition system. I'm not sure of the AVC system and where the radio gets it's information to raise/lower the volume. If it's from a speed sensor or speedometer.
Thanks for all of your ideas!
LegacyMan

Have you adjusted the AVC all the way up or down to see if that makes any changes to the problem you're having??? If you turn it all the way down, it's like it doesn't exist. Sound volume won't change with speed. If no difference, then it probably isn't AVC related. You said when you're cleaning the bike you have the radio on. Is it possible you got water in there, where water doesn't belong??? Water and electronics just don't mix very well. :shock

Stock plug wires? Plug wires, specially some fancy expensive ones have been known to cause strange audio issues...

That is something i haven't tried yet Glazier; I'll try different settings (including off) on the AVC and see if it makes a difference.
My bike washes are basically sponge baths on a lift. I put a cover on her during the day incase it rains (or snows).
Stock plug wires
Thanks, Legacyman

It doesn't hurt to inspect the plug wires. I've found rub spots on several occasions and changed them before problems. Recently there was a strange thread here about varying and excessive voltage readings that sounded like a bad regulator but turned out to be bad wire(s).

Back