free website stats program 05 glide with efi will not start | Harley Davidson Forums

05 glide with efi will not start

gcaughlin

Hi all from Washington State! I have an 05 electra glide with 92,000 miles on it. Put gas in the other day and a half a mile later it died and would not start. it sputtered backfired, tachometer was all over the place. I let it sit for a day, rode it around the block and then it died in the driveway.

I replaced the fuel filter cannister, thinking it must be that. Fuel Pump comes on, bike turns over, but no start. Am thinking it is the fuel pump, but since i hear it come on I am not sure how to rule it in or rule it out as the source of the problem. Everything else seems okay.

Any ideas and suggesitons would be welcome!

Happy 4th!

Had you ridden problem free until putting the gas in? Was there old gas in the tank? Had the bike sat for a long time? Your comment about the tach being all over the place - was the engine matching the tach or was it just the gauge? What was the last maintenance or mod that you did to the bike?

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked to see if it threw any codes? That would be the place to start.

Does the fuel pump continue to run or does it stop after you turn it on?

Open your gas cap before you turn on the ignition then turn it on and see if the fuel in your tank is almost frothing when the fuel pump starts. If so your high pressure line has ruptured.

Welcome to HDTimeline...

My check approach would be: Turn on ignition...

Use the on-off handlebar kill switch... Perform this with gas cap Off for better Listening...

Flip the kill switch ON watch for the pre-light and listen for the fuel pump Cycle on... Turn off switch count a Full ten seconds...

Flip on the kill switch again and IF the pump PUMPS again, the fuel line probably has a hole in it... Not holding pressure tells you that it is leaking out...

Pressure should Hold on the second 10 second try and pump should not run... If it does, you found the problem...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Welcome to HDTimeline...

My check approach would be: Turn on ignition...

Use the on-off handlebar kill switch... Perform this with gas cap Off for better Listening...

Flip the kill switch ON watch for the pre-light and listen for the fuel pump Cycle on... Turn off switch count a Full ten seconds...

Flip on the kill switch again and IF the pump PUMPS again, the fuel line probably has a hole in it... Not holding pressure tells you that it is leaking out...

Pressure should Hold on the second 10 second try and pump should not run... If it does, you found the problem...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

I learn something everyday :newsmile045:

Back