free website stats program 05 FLHRSI cruise control install | Harley Davidson Forums

05 FLHRSI cruise control install

ken1986

I am installing a HD cruise kit on my 05 FLHRSI. The kit # is 77198-04 which is correct according to Harleys web site. The problem that I am having is the instructions tell you to reuse the the tension adjuster screw for the new right hand controls. Due to the fact the new switch is longer then the old switch the old screw is not long enough .The fingers/knob at the end of the old screw hit the side of the new switch and this prevents you from threading it in. Can you purchase a longer screw. Has anyone came across this problem . Thanks

ken

I am confused. The instructions do tell me to reinstall the tension adjuster screw. This is step 11. At new handlebar control assembly, hold the lower switchhousing with concave side facing upward. Install the tension
adjuster screw and spring with the friction shoe (saved
from Step 4) so that pin hole is over the point of the tension
adjuster screw. Adjust the tension adjuster two or three
turns to hold assembly in place.
NOTE
The friction shoe is a loose fit and may fall out or become dislodged
if the switch housing is turned upside down or shaken.
12. See Figure 6. Push the throttle
ken

After my own first nightmare install I have installed that kit on a lot of buddies bikes and I have never had the instructions say to reinstall the tensioner screw only the friction plate.Just try reinstalling everything without the screw and see how it feels to you.

Thanks for you help. The step 11 in the instructions was copied and pasted from shop.harley-davidson-rostock.de/instructionsheets/77197-04.pdf I am not sure if I can install just the friction shoe because it held in place by the idle screw. The idle is pointed at the end and the shoe has a hole in the center that sits in that point.

ken

Just set it down in the rectangular slot and put everything back together.The only way it will fall out is if you turn the throttle housing upside down.You have to put that piece in otherwise there is too much up and down movement on the hand grip.No other reason.

I think I see what is happening. I am trying to follow the instruction to the T, Who ever wrote the instructions that came with my kit copied them from the service manual.The 05 service manual {which I have} Illustrates how to install The basic - non cruise control switches.It states that under " General " On the handlebar control page. So the person that wrote the instructions that came with my kit screwed up because the part that states to install the tension screw does not belong there.I just looked at the instructions for an 08 It also states to reinstall the tension screw but after that it states " for non cruise control switches" that statement is not in my instruction sheet. It only makes sense not to have a tension adjustment with cruise but shame on HD to have the instructions tell you to put it in.You put me on the right track. I have not done alot of work on my bike so if the instruction tells me to do it I assume it is correct. Thanks for your help
ken

Back