free website stats program 05 fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

05 fatboy

Mavagrand

Just went with a friend of mine and helped him buy an 05 fat boy. Here's the story. Guy is selling the bike for his father who is elderly and can no longer ride. The bike has 8300 miles on the odo and the guy was asking 9600.00. Went to look at the bike and it was rough. the bike had been dropped, the rear fender had a couple of half dollar size dents that went down to the metal, the saddle bags were missing and the paint in general had a lot of light scratches. The bike actually disappointed me when I first saw it. I got to looking at it and the engine looked good, like a low mileage engine should. Rode the bike and it tracked true and ran strong. I did notice the engine oil light would come on when the bike was idling. the guy said the idle was set too low..not sure. anyway, the windshield was also scratched and the bike was missing its rear turn signals. I offered the 7500, he took 7700 cash. I rode the bike back home for my friend who doesn't have an endorsement and she ran strong and true. For those with experience, is this oil light issue something minor? What problems/issues were prevelant with this year bike? anything he should watch out for? thanx.

Cam chain issues?
I just purchased an '05 Fatboy with 8600 miles. Beautiful condition... looks brand new.
Can you please explain the cam chain issue?
Thanks

This is the tensioners that keep tension on the cam chain. They wear and can cause damage to the engine if not checked starting at about 25K for the wear.

Smitty, have you heard anything about a low idle issue causing the engine oil light to come on? the guy said he checked some forums and a lot of 05 owners needed an ECM reflash to set the idle higher. I know at idle the oil light would flicker, oil tank was full. soon as I touched the throttle, the light would go out.

Heres is the long and short of it as I see it.
The 2005 had an issue with cam chain tensioners wearing out way to soon about 25,000 miles. Long story short they were a bad design. You can play games and run it to the last minute and hope you have no major problems. You can wait to replace them with the same weak parts you removed.
Or do the smart thing and make plans now to replace them early with the upgrade HYD tensioners and never worry about it again.
No madder what way you go when you chnage oil look for peaces of the tensioner floating around in the oil.
Brite side once you deal with this issue The engine is a very good one I have a few friends with a lot of miles on 05's.

Was the tensioner issue resolved on the 06 FB. I hope.

Don't believe you are hurt at the price. If you can do any of the fix yourself. If you can get any help and buy used on the body parts should come out ahead..

Thanx, guys. It is EFI and has a Stage 1 installed. I wondered about the download issue..I'll go through it and see if it has a fuel management system on it and, if not, have Dave take it to the dealer to confirm download. I'll also check the DTC (thanks Smitty). I don't think we got a bad deal either as the bike is solid and only needs cosmetic work. I know he is excited about it. thanx all. ride safe.

Mavagrand, you got a good deal, and if you go over the tensioners, routine maintenance and pick up the cosmetic bits you should be in good shape. Hope your friend appreciates your find and gets some good riding time on her...! :small3d018:

Hey Mavagrand, don't you think it's about time to get your buddy on the forum and have him post some pictures so we can see what he's got.

Back