free website stats program 04' sporty pops when i rev it up only | Harley Davidson Forums

04' sporty pops when i rev it up only

cahiggy

When im sitting at a light and i rev up my sporty it will pop, feels like its coming from the air filter, i just put on a new max flow air filter, it was doing it before i changed out the air filter too. was wandering if anyone else is having this problem. the bike runs great, no popping on decel, just when im at a light & i rev it up. any help would be appricated.

My '04 Sporty "pops" only if cold and if I push in the enrichner off before she is warmed up which seems as Hobbit says too lean. But if I leave it 1/2 way out and drive away, by the time I go 1/2 mile or so the enrichner can be pushed all the way in (though I have the tension knurled nut adjusted so it goes in just by the engine vibration alone):coffee.

My 1999 does this exact thing. It runs great no popping any other time just very occasionally when warm at a stop. Mine is an 883 converted to 1200.

You say this is a 2004, so that’s closing in on 5 years old. It could be one of or a combination of several things; carburetor to manifold seal, manifold to head gaskets. It could just be the change in air filters. If it is just the change in air filters a jet change may be in order or a readjusting the air fuel mixture screw under the backside of the carburetor.

Are you still running factory exhaust? Did you purchase the bike new or is this a previously owned bike, in which case do you know any history of work done to it? There is a section in this site loaded with carburetor information. Sometimes it is simply a process of elimination, but at 5 years I don’t think it would hurt to change the carburetor and manifold seals/gaskets. This is a relatively inexpensive job and if you have yourself a manual, a couple of Allen heads and some wrenches it isn’t all that complex to do.

I’m kind of leaning on the carburetor seal, and I’ll tell you why, you said you’ve just changed the air filter, I’m assuming here, that you didn’t have this issue prior to the change. In which case I know you had to pull the air cleaner and probably jiggled the carburetor while making the change. If that is the case, you may have broken the seal on a deteriorating rubber seal, thereby creating a leak.

I want to thank you all for your input, I have a few things that i can check. Its great being a part of a very knowledgable group of riders. i will start slowly checking things out. Of course ill do the simple ones first and elimante them one at a time. Thank you again.

Another thing to consider, is there water in the gas? If it has a carb on it, you can pull the bowl off, look for water there. Clean it out, put in some drygas and run it.

Back