free website stats program 04 speedo and tach not working | Harley Davidson Forums

04 speedo and tach not working

I have an 04 1200 Roadster and last nite my speedometer and tachometer quit working completely.When I turn the key on 10 sec later the blinkers flash 6 times.I found on this site how to check that out today but am at work and won't check til tomarrow afternoon.
Anyone have this problem or know what is wrong?I did wash the bike the day before but it worked OK on the way to work.It also cleared up today for a few minutes but is back.Thanks Dale in Redondo Beach Ca.

I don't have anything working on the speedo or tack,no lights,no odometer,no code at all and my blinkers were canceling OK.Thanks Dale. I'm going out to check DTC code.

I just went out and tried to use my blinkers to test TSM/TSSM but there's no code and my blinkers work like they should.I'm not getting the flashing 6 times when I turn the bike on anymore even after a ride around the block.
I'll try and find out where speedo and tach meet and check for a bad connection.
Any ideas?Thanks Dale MY bike is a 1200R with seperate speedo and tach

Last edited:
Thanks for info!I will check the wire harness tomarrow if I have time.I will post finding when I come up with what worked. Dale

I still haven't found any help!The bike turns on but nothing on gauges works.I checked connections,fuses,battery.I'm thinking its inside one of the gauges.
What would cause this?No Odometer,tach,speedo or lights on gauges.But blinkers and other lights work fine and bike runs fine.
Thanks Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
those gauges are all electric, as you know, they also sit between rubber rings to insulate them from vibration, and need to be grounded. it would seem to me that you may wish to look at that and make sure they are indeed grounded.

it just seem curious that nothing is working at the insturments, but everything else seems to be working. have you had it to the dealer?

I still haven't found any help!The bike turns on but nothing on gauges works.I checked connections,fuses,battery.I'm thinking its inside one of the gauges.
What would cause this?No Odometer,tach,speedo or lights on gauges.But blinkers and other lights work fine and bike runs fine.
Thanks Dale

Have you ridden it when saying the blinkers work fine? Are they still self cancelling when you are riding?

I will try grounding the gauges and the bike works fine except gauges,canelling works when riding.
I'm going fishing for a week and will check back tomarrow then leaving til next Fri dec 12th.Thanks Dale

Since your blinkers are self cancelling when riding, that narrows it down to the gauges. Double check you harness connections and fuses. At the worst your gauges are fried..

I had the speedo on my 94 FLHR stop working after a very heavy Florida rain. The face light was ok, but the speedo and odo stopped working....

The grounds for the gauges are in the wiring harness. The physical housings are plastic. Maybe you have a harness the has a short. A good manual will give you the gauge pin out. You can then check for power at the gauges...

I finally got time to check wire's and found that I wasn't getting voltage at tach/speedo on the brown/grey battery wires to both speedo &tach.So I traced it to a broken wire in bundle where it tee's from 1 wire to 2.Bad splice at factory!
All is well now:).Thanks for input.Dale

Back