free website stats program 04 FXDWGI Wont Start | Harley Davidson Forums

04 FXDWGI Wont Start

murph76

Ok, so I come back on the weekend from school in Maryland, been about a week in between rides with no probs any other time with startin runnin etc. Go to fire her up today and click click click, as if the battery is dead, check all connections everything is tight remove it, its 5yrs old so i get it checked and its no good, pick up a new battery install it and the same thing symptons happen BUT started right after. ran for approx 5-10 secs and died out. attempted to recrank and same scenario. Checked cables at the starter and all were snug, removed electrical cover and fuses seemed ok. Starter bad? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. THanks

My bet would be a bad cable connection in the battery cables somewhere. Do the lights go out when it clicks?

I went to double check on that fault and now it wont crank at all, lights all come on tho and are not dimmed at all, runnin lights are all on and brake light works, no turn signals tho not sure if it needs to be runnin for those but couldnt get four ways either. Im gonna go thru the battery cables make sure they are all good, re-heat shrink etc. Ive added the Harley LED turn signal mirrors and a BAL tail light, could i be puttin to much on the electrical system?
Thanks

It is not unknown for the battery cables to corrode internally and causing this type of problem

Brian

ok, jumped the starter solenoid and everything sounded and cranked as normal and checked the output voltage at the starter relay, gettin around 12v on the constant side and then flip the switch and its puttin out voltage on the other side, believe ive narrowed it down to the relay or possibly CPS... went out earlier and hit the switch for one of those tests and she cranked, caught me WAY off guard, lol. double checked all the wires again.. HD dealer is closed and i gotta head back to Maryland for school today. GLad the army keeps me moving.

Since you jumped out the solenoid & things sounded OK, My thoughts would lead me to the solenoid as the culpret... :20:

Yeah, went with the relay first, purchased the rebuild kit for the solenoid today from harley, just finished gettin the starter off the bike and starting on the solenoid now, hope this is it.

Back