free website stats program '04 fatboy dies after riding then restarts after cooling down | Harley Davidson Forums

'04 fatboy dies after riding then restarts after cooling down

Spike

My 2004 fatboy - carburated - will start and run fine until it warms up then dies. No backfire, sputtering etc. It just dies like it's lost spark or gas. After it sits a bit, maybe 10 minutes or so, it restarts fine and runs fine until it warms up. I haven't checked anything like connections yet. I'm guessing it's something electrical, or bad coil? Any suggestions?

It is not uncommon for the ignition module to cut out when it gets hot to test this when engine cuts out remove the ignition module cover and spray the ignition module with canned air as the air will come out really cold it will cool the ignition module if the bike then starts you then know yo will need to replace the ignition module

Brian

In 2004 HD issued service bulletin M1151 and 1151A with instructions to replace the 40A breaker with a 50A breaker because the 40A breaker was failing without notice. Typically, this problem presented on bikes with high mileage where time and heat reduced the capacity of the 40A breaker. Don't know if this is the problem but if the ignition module tests out, replace the MCB. It might not be the problem but should be changed anyway as it is dangerous to be riding a bike that could just stop operating without warning.;)

Back