free website stats program 04 E Glide charging problem | Harley Davidson Forums

04 E Glide charging problem

I've got an 04 E Glide that I've had about 3 years now. It has started to do something on me that I have no idea about. Sometimes not every time but once in a while when I start the bike the battery light will come on and the volt meter will read about 11 volts. As I'm riding it will suddenly start to charge and the battery light will go out. It did it a couple of times last year but now it is doing it more. and taking longer to go out . Like I said it's not happening every time, but I don't want to get out on a long trip and get stranded. Is it the Voltage Reg , stator or something else? Any ideas would be helpful

Are battery cables clean and tight at both ends. If so then remove battery and have bench tested. If battery ok reinstall and check charging system. Is the check engine light on when happening???

Seems the regulator is bad. We checked it 5 different time 3 out of 5 showed bad. It would start to work again if you tapped it ,,, would also stop working some times to that way ,,,, Stator checks good so i'll try replaceing the reg for now. Hopefully not to hard to do

Just for the heck of it, supply an additional ground from the battery to the body of the regulator and see if it works that way. It could be a bad ground at the regulator.

Back