free website stats program 04 883 shifting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

04 883 shifting issues

ab2011

I purchased a 04 883 with a 1200 conversion that seems to have a few little issues, first issue was that when i went to look at the bike the rear drive belt was gone....MIA. I pointed this out to the fella that owned the bike trying to be honest due to the fact that he had no idea as to why it just quit moving one day. so i replaced the belt and took out for a test ride. That dude has a crazy amount of low end torque and rode well. I went to turn around to head back to the shop to make sure everything was still nice and tight and I was unable to downshift to any gear. the lever move but will not engage in a gear. I pulled the primary cover and did some investigating. It looks as tho there is a spirg missing to keep the little tab locked in to engage lower gears. I do not have a manual yet and also do not have a HD type store anywhere real close to me. Any help would be appreciated also any opinions as to what brand of manual is best. I had a clymers with my night train and thought it was very informative. just wondering if there were others out there that were better. also if there is view of this shift mech on this forum a link would be awesome. this is a big place and I am still trying to find my way around here. Thanks in advance

That was perfect. I am a little internet stupid most of the times as I either use the wrong keywords in a search or do not have the resources readily available to me. I appreciate the reply and am heading out to the shop to see what i am missing. thanks again

The issue has been resolved. THe lil Dogear that has a spring on it apparently decided it needed a day off and turned 180 degrees. I put it back where it belonged and viola. i have all 5 gears again. fixing to go through the help section and look to see if I can find torque specs for the primary cover and see if I cant get some miles in before dark.

Back