free website stats program 04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation | Harley Davidson Forums

04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation

rickpeg

I have a '07 Ultra Classic with about 36,000 miles. Within the past couple of days I have been experiencing some problems.

On the way to work on 8/2, about a 10 mile ride, I was traveling about 55 MPH. At about mile 6 the speedometer needle briefly pegs at 120 then settles back at 55 momentarily then the motor died. I coasted to a side road, stopped, turned the ignition switch off then on. I restarted it and finished my ride without incident. When I started heading home it only wanted to idle at about 500 RPM, normally idles at 1000. Every time I slowed for a stop it wanted to die. I had to keep feathering the throttle to keep the RPMs up enough to keep that from happening.

I don't know if this is related or not, but Friday I left out, cycled my lo/hi beam lights to activate the HD garage door opener to close my garage door without incident. When I returned home at the end of the day I repeatedly cycled the lo/hi beams and it would not open my garage door. I reprogramed the opener and it still won't work.

I don't know if these issues are somehow related or not and I don't know what might be causing the first issue. I plan on removing the fairing on my next days off and checking the opener to make sure it is still secure, but what should I be looking for on the other?

I do have the ThunderMax w/auto tune, but I have never had any issue with that and it has been on there for probably 10,000 miles.

The ride to work on 8/3 was without incident. The ride home was a different story. As I approached the first traffic light, it died. I had to stop and turned the ignition off then on and it immediately restarted. As I approached the second traffic light, about a mile, I have to feather the throttle to keep it from dying. After that the throttle seemed to have a mind of its own. When I tried to slow the throttle seemed unresponsive and the RPMs would stay at 2000 or more. Once I got stopped the RPMs would finally drop. But it was acting weered. I wonder if there is a problem with one of the 02 sensors, or if I need to reload the map in the TMax.

I’m reasonably sure that the garage door opener is not related to the other issues.

I ran the diagnotics. The results follow:

P - None
No Pn
32915-07
S - U1016
End
Pn 68924-07
SP - U1016
End
Pn 67349-04a
t - U1016
End
Pn 67348-04b

I can read that the U1016 means:

U1016 Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments
U1016 Loss of ECM Serial Data, Vehicle Speed, Vehicle Inhibit Motion or Power train Security Status TSM/TSSM

But I don't really know what that is telling me. Any ideas what's going on and what I need to do to correct this?

Last edited:
I was going to try to either clean the VSS or replace it. On the '07 the VSS is located under the starter. Was getting ready to remove the starter and realized how much trouble that would be for me, not a mechanic, and that I have an extended warranty anyway.

Called the dealership and arranged for them to pick the bike up. I gave them the symtoms and told them that I suspected it was the VSS and I wanted them to fix the HD garage door opener issue.

When they got it to their shop, they noticed one of the master cylinders was leaking, they fixed that. They fixed the garage door opener. Then they wanted to know who put the TMax on the bike. They said they did not have the ability to read the TMax.

They are going to deliver it back to me today. I will have to install the original ECM and O2 sensors, then have them come pick it up again.

Arggggghhhh

I was going to try to either clean the VSS or replace it. On the '07 the VSS is located under the starter. Was getting ready to remove the starter and realized how much trouble that would be for me, not a mechanic, and that I have an extended warranty anyway.

Called the dealership and arranged for them to pick the bike up. I gave them the symtoms and told them that I suspected it was the VSS and I wanted them to fix the HD garage door opener issue.

When they got it to their shop, they noticed one of the master cylinders was leaking, they fixed that. They fixed the garage door opener. Then they wanted to know who put the TMax on the bike. They said they did not have the ability to read the TMax.

They are going to deliver it back to me today. I will have to install the original ECM and O2 sensors, then have them come pick it up again.

Arggggghhhh

Have to love the aftermarket for that. :s

The dealership called to arrainge delivery of my bike back. I told the service writer that I had diagnostic software on my laptop for the ThunderMax and I would be willing to bring it to the dealership and diagnose the problem. They weren't interested. Actually I figured they wouldn't be but I had to ask. When they delivered it back I ran the diagnostic software and it didn't report any issues. I then contacted Zippers. Sent them a copy of my current map and a moniter log. After they reviewed the data I sent they said it appeared to them that at some point I experienced some sort of voltage surge. They recommended that I reload the map and start over. That worked. The bike runs great now.

Glad you got it fixed. That's the biggest problem with the T Max. If you break down on the road, it's difficult to find someone that is familiar with the unit. Most dealers don't know much if anything about them.

I feel your pain. I've had electrical issues for the past three weeks. Two batteries, and a new stator, along with several hundred dollars...everything is fine.

My question is: Is the transmitter on your bike a circuit board enclosed in clear plastic? I dropped my bike on the right side and the handlebars crushed a wiring harness into the transmitter, cracking the plastic and shorting the unit out. I've looked for replacement transmitters and have yet to see one the looks like the original. (Which BTW, seems awfully large and complex just to send an RF signal.

HD mounted the unit inside the top of the frame, just under the handlebars. It is exposed to the weather and I've already had it replaced once under warranty. I see smaller transmitters online. Would one of these work with my HD receiver?

Plus, it seems to make sense to either put the unit inside the headlamp cover, (there is plenty of space...even for the factory unit,)...or any place but where it is. Exposed and obviously vulnerable.

I need to replace the transmitter and it is an hour to town. I don't like the unit and placement anyway. Any ideas?

P.S. This seems like the wrong place (thread) but it's where the SEARCH took me.

Back