free website stats program 03 XL883 Left turn signal problem | Harley Davidson Forums

03 XL883 Left turn signal problem

harperjones

My left turn signal button is intermittantly failing to set off the left turn signals. sometimes it works but it is increasingly not functioning. Is there a faulty contact inside which can be adjusted or is this modular? Pls helP!

Welcome Harperjones to the HDTimeline forum. You will find plenty of fellow riders and enthusiasts eager to help you do maintenance and service on your ride. Take a look at the Self Help and Search tabs near the top of this webpage to help you work your way through.

That said, since your bike is an '03...I would probably look at the actual switch contact going bad or having a problem with contacts/corrosion as the controls and switches are subject to weather and riding conditions, especially if you recently did a "through cleaning" (technically no water spray above the side covers is what I would recommend, but JMHO). The switch gear access is fairly straight forward, you will need good set of Torx bits and screwdrivers, but you had best get a service manual to reherse your routine and do it on a Friday to be sure to get you two full days, just in case you have to go to the dealer for parts. You also have to be careful about small parts and springs falling out, so go slow and careful, inspect everything before disassembling ANYTHING.

Thanks for the reply, I have a service manual, just wondering if the problem was in the central switch housing under seat or inside the indicator button itself. Another thing is that if it's failing and I dip the bike far over to the right (away from the left turn signal and stationary, of course) the blinker and switch begins working again, so I'm thinking minimal contact point corrosion myself. I am going to openup that left had housing as you suggest. Thanks for the post and this great forum.
Another great issue I am having is replacing the anniversary silver paint...Harley does not carry and will not give out Paint Codes, what a croc!, have a good paint man and found a reference online for the Sterling Silver 902650. Hope it matches Any thoughts?

Back