free website stats program 03 standard turns over but won't fire up. | Harley Davidson Forums

03 standard turns over but won't fire up.

Jason corbell

Replaced plugs and working fine. Replaced both relays. Replaced crank shaft sensor. I can hear pump prime. Before I end up replacing everything i don't need can someone please help me I'm chasing the rabbit at this point and it's giving no codes. Last time it ran went about 40 miles and started sputtering and continued all the way back home in a heavy down pour and thought maybe water got in intake and fouled a plug.

If you have spark and fuel it should start or at the very least pop, Start with the basics if you already haven't.
Pull the plugs and check for spark,
Check the plugs and see if they are wet or smell of gas,
If it's injected try wiggling the injector wire, sometimes the loose a good connection.

Process of elimination. If you have spark, remove air cleaner and spray starting fluid into the throat while cranking. If you can keep it running, then it's a fuel delivery problem.

Hi Jason, since it happened during a rain storm, maybe check the coil and plug wires to see if they may have gotten wet.

Process of elimination. If you have spark, remove air cleaner and spray starting fluid into the throat while cranking. If you can keep it running, then it's a fuel delivery problem.
Thank you so much that's what I was thinking about to get off work and try it.

If you have spark and fuel it should start or at the very least pop, Start with the basics if you already haven't.
If it's injected try wiggling the injector wire, sometimes the loose a good connection.

Thank you. I was getting spark but come to think of it I don't think they were wet when I checked for spark. I'll check them again.

Hi Jason, since it happened during a rain storm, maybe check the coil and plug wires to see if they may have gotten wet.
Thank you very much. I'm getting spark, I'm beginning to think it's fuel related now. About to go work on it and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check for pinholes in your fuel line.
When gas level drops in tank you suck air.
No fuel. No go - -

Yes if fuel injected the convoluted fuel lines in the tank get hole / splits and then the fuel drops back into the tank or sucks air.
If it runs good with full tank the pick up line has holes, if the delivery line to injectors has splits or holes it may not get enough fuel and pressure to injectors.
At or below 1/2 tank with a flashlight look into the tank while cycling the ignition to watch for splatter and misting.
If the tubes need to be replaced get the fuel filter, gasket and retaining screws .
If it's carbureted it's something different.

Follow the two above suggestions, it does happen. While you are at it check fuel pressure as well.

Back