free website stats program 03 Sportster losing spark | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Sportster losing spark

Hello, I am a new member here on hdtimeline
I have a problem with my 2003 sporster 883c that intermittently loses spark to both plugs.
Sometimes it will start and sometimes it will not(no spark)
when it starts their is good blue spark their though.
when it does start once it is warm if I give it any throttle it dies and then their is no spark, I have to wait hours for it to start again.
here is somethings I have tested;
full charged battery
when running tested that the bike is charging
tested key on power to both coil terminals,
on the bottom of the bike, I test the 6wire igition module plugin with actucally 5 wires inside, I test the wires from the coil to this plugin
that seems fine,
I test the ground at this plugin,
cleaned the battery ground and the frame ground
I am not sure if it is a wiring problem or igition module or coil problem, but would like to figure out which before buying any parts
I do have a digtial meter and tools here.
any help or ideas would be great.
thank you

It is not unheard of for the ignition module under the points cover to go bad they usually start to fail when they get hot
Remove the points cover and spray the area with spray duster the air coming out of the can is very cold and will chill the area if you then get a nice fat spark you will then know that that is the problem area

Brian

Also I have 12volts at the both coil terminals and at the 6wire igition module connector and tested for contitunity betten the wires
that seems good
forgot to add this couldnt find a way to edit
any help or ideas would be great
thank you

fin_676
when you say points cover
is that the igition module cover on the right side lower engine with 2 rivets holding it on?

That would be it, no points in there either, check for pinched wires also

Yes that is the place as once upon a time under that cover on older models would have sat the points
it is also called the nose cone

Brian

I drilled the 2 rivets off
and removed 2 screws
and sprayed it with air duster it didnt start
i tapped the module with the rubber of my screw driver
and the bike started
i wiggle the wires where it comes up in the hole
it quit, dont start
wiggle a little more it started
then quit,
now i have a new problem my starter button isnt turning the starter
i dont know if their is a fuse for that?

ok i found the starter fuse it was on the left side of the bike
it was blowen i replaced the bike starts
if i wiggle the wires that come up from the hole to the igition module it quits
i guess the next step would be to remove the module and inspect the wires?
to do this it looks like it held in by the studs that were holding the cone cover on
are this in a certain postion? it looks like they are adjustable? should i mark them or anything?
also to get the module completly out,
do ppl remove that right side engine cover
or cut the wires? because the plug wont come up threw that small hole.
thanks
Dana

should stay in the same spot but you can mark it just the same.. the plug can be removed not real sure the type but if you remove the orange square plastic piece by pulling it out you should see how the pin and wires remove from housing they should be held in by a little plastic tab or lever per pin. if you get this accomplished tie some string or wire to the wires before you pull them out that way when you install it the wires will feed back to the same routing by attaching the string or wire for the return

Back