free website stats program 02 with 65K -sloppy shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

02 with 65K -sloppy shifting

rw1050

So my 02 FLH has been great to me and needs some transmission love . The gears are pretty sloppy, i replaced the clutch about 15k miles ago and i have to change the outer primary gasket so I figured if Iam going to into it this winter I may dive into the tranny as well. So the question is do i take the tranny apart and replace bushings, bearings, and whatever else I find or do i do something else..
I was thinking of going to a 6 speed but for 500 rpms i am not sure it is worth it as Ionly go over 75 on long trips a hand full of times each year..

Before you tear into the trans., make sure it's not something simple like one of the shift levers, or the crappy factory rod that goes from trans. to inboard shift arm by stator plug.

Pete has a good suggestion especially the arm that goes onto the tranny shaft, the arm was a poor design and has a tendency to wear out where it goes around the shaft and will not tighten any longer.
You can check it by reaching in a see how much wiggle you have, shouldn't have very much movement if it is good.
Seeing that yours is a 02 and if it's never been replaced that could contribute to your problem with shifting.

Back