free website stats program 02 Road King dies | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Road King dies

Bubbat450

Sunday I was out riding. after about an hour I was headed down a to lane road going about 55mph. All of a sudden the bike died. I popped the clutch and it would not restart. I turned the switch on the bars off and back on and it started up. It did it three more times, the last time I saw the odometer off ((can't remember if the handle bar switch kills that)) I turned the ignition switch off and back on and it fired up. I the came to a stop sign and it wouldn't idle. I was headed home and it was all highways except two more stop signs, It would not Idle. I went about 4 more miles and turned off on my street. I pulled in the clutch and it was fine. I road 3 more miles every few minutes I pulled in the clutch and it idles and when I got home it still idled.

I’m going to the ROT Rally soon and won’t have much time to ride it because of work. Any thoughts???

I own an injection (FLHXI) and had similar problems caused by the tube from the tank to the engine been worn at the bajonet connection. Due to the worn the fuel stopped flowing at certain moments. No Fuel No Ride.

I didn’t have time to read any codes but I did find that the positive terminal on the battery was slightly lose, I mean I could move it but it wasn’t lose enough to arc. I had already removed the dash and I found that the connector to the main switch was lose and a little corroded. I’m going to but it back tonight and check for codes.

I own an injection (FLHXI) and had similar problems caused by the tube from the tank to the engine been worn at the bajonet connection. Due to the worn the fuel stopped flowing at certain moments. No Fuel No Ride.

What did you replace? The fuel line or the part in the tank?

That will do it. Suggest that you take off the battery terminal cables, clean them really well on both mating surfaces (cable and battery) and then resecure nice and tight. Do this for both the pos and neg terminals (take off neg first, then take off pos, clean, reinstall pos, then neg). Do the other ends too just for grins. Then check that your other ground connections are tight.

May be all you need to do.

TQ

There is a plastic hose in the fuel tank that splits and will cause fuel pressure drop. I had a 03 RKC and had simular condition, stalling between shifts and found the harness to the ignition switch was close to disconnecting. after cleaning connector and clipping it back on the switch all the stalling between shifts stopped. I also had alot of backfire on decell that sometimes sounded like a shot gun between shifts that was caused by a lean condition do to plugged fuel filter, this condition started at arround 15,000 mile. Fuel filter was the last thing I check'd, should have been the first

Back