free website stats program 01 Ultra/circuit breaker | Harley Davidson Forums

01 Ultra/circuit breaker

alto

I've had the recall ( 40 to 50 amp) circuit breaker done. Was checked at a major service this past winter. Today, the bike died..pulled over ( scary situation)..moments later, circuit breaker was functioning again and we were off..The rest of the 100 miles, it was fine ..BUT. I can't live with worrying about the 'next time'. I know MoCo went to a Maxi fuse in later years.
Isn't there Something that can be done with mine to solve this problem once and for all? Could that circuit breaker be moved or insulated from the heat ( my understanding of the cause of breakdown).? This total loss of electrical power cannot/should not ever happen. It's a lousy reason to get hurt or killed.

It can be relocated by moving it to a place where it gets more direct air flow by extending the leads. I would solder and shrink wrap the connections and mount the breakes solid so it can't move.

Thank you, Glider. It would seem that it could be moved as it didn't grow in there. If moving it, far away from the heat is a good answer, is it possible to convert to the newer ( Harley changed over) Maxi Fuse? Two dealers told me 'no' but didn't say why they/I couldn't convert my 01/circuit breaker to the newer Position/location and a Maxi fuse..In other words, duplicate what Harley did a a permanent fix in later models

The maxi fuse is just that.... a fuse and once blown you're dead in the water. The breaker is better IMO because you can get home when it resets.

ahhhh...that makes sense. Thanks.
I have the seat off and with coffee in hand, staring at the whole thing..wanting to get involved and, because of my lack of knowledge, ....just staring at it all.
I was about to disconnect the battery but, have the feeling it will disrupt 'codes'...Perhaps I should just put the seat back on, take it to a dealer and have them extend wires and locate the breaker behind the seat/on fender?/ under the rear trunk.

No problem disconnecting it. If you feel better you can use a jumper from the battery to the line on the out side of the breaker to make an uninterrupted connection. If you aren't comfortable with doing it, then let someone who is do the job.

I'm having the exact problem with my 02 Ultra. Matter of fact I'm heading out to the garage to check the leads, as one member commented he helped a friend out, and found one of the leads to the breaker was bad, and redid the connections on both leads and solved the problem. I do like the relocation idea the best however. If that works for you please let us know!
Best of luck.

I just came back from a run around town to find a 50 amp breaker. No luck today. I'll order one on line ( probably two, just to have an extra) and/or try a Harley Dealer. Once I get one, I'm thinking of relocating it in the right side cover ( the left has the rear exhaust pipe right next to it.)
It looks easy enough to lengthen the wires and get that darn thing away from heat. From everything I've heard, it is the heat that causes these breakers to open...closing when it cools. I've got to try as it's not tolerable to just always worry about it. It shouldn't happen. Maybe after many years ...but this breaker is fairly new ( 50 amp)..That's another thing..I'll be real interested to see IF it's a 50 amp after the service.Sure looks old to me.
When I do the relocate thing, I'll post again.

After looking at mine, couldn't a person suspend the breaker to get air around it, or put a heat fabric such as is used on hot rods in the steel void ahead of the battery? I agree that this is a bad situation, ecspecially at night! Been there, still doing that!

Well. it's done. I did locate and pick up a new 50 amp breaker. Pulled the battery. Noticed that the breaker holder was just held on by a rivot..Drilled it out. I took off the right side cover, found a spot to drill and mount the breaker holder (just to the right of the cover's rear most snap-in post). One by one, I cut and extended the wires to the new breaker.
I guess time will tell if this will solve the problem of the breaker taking so much heat where it was. I did use crimp connectors and soldered each connection with a type of 'soft' silver solder...Then used shrink tubing.
I did think of putting something like the 'oven-glove ( nomex?) under the old breaker but, I really wanted it relocated.

Back