free website stats program '01 FLSTF Ignition Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

'01 FLSTF Ignition Problem

Flatbar

So, I was cruising along and suddenly my engine quit firing. No sputter or pops the engine just quit. All electrical systems function except that I'm getting no spark.

Checked the fuses, all ok but couldn't find the 'main' fuse or circuit breaker.

Pulled the CPS and didn't find anything visually wrong.

I had replaced the battery two weeks ago and haven't had any problems until now.

I have no service manual and after searching these forums and not finding the exact same problem I'm asking for some help....Please

Give us a little more info on your bike. Do you have a security system? Have there been any modifications done to the bike? What was the last thing you did to the bike?

Flatbar welcome to the forum, sorry your first post has to be about a problem you are having but hang in there and you will get plenty of help from the members here to get you going again. You stated you have no manual so I will add that the service manual along with the electrical diagnostic manual will be your best friends in situations like this and I would highly recommend getting them soon as possible.

Like HDDon said some more info. is needed. Along with the info he asked for how many miles are on your bike and when you say "All electrical systems function except that I'm getting no spark." Are you saying that the bike will crank over freely but not start or will not turn over at all?

You will also need to check for diagnostics codes.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-729.html

Let us know what you come up with.

Give us a little more info on your bike. Do you have a security system? Have there been any modifications done to the bike? What was the last thing you did to the bike?

Thanks for the reply!

Stock security system, mods are cosmetic with the exception of SE stage 1&2...lots of chrome including headlight nacelle.

Changed the battery about 2 weeks ago but have put on 200+ miles since then. Charging system and battery are good.

The weird thing is that the entire electrical system seems good but absolutly no spark.

I tested the feed to the coil and on the center wire, white w/ black stripe, I get a momentary 11.90 volts when ignition is turned on but that voltage drops to 0 after 2-3 seconds.

Flatbar welcome to the forum, sorry your first post has to be about a problem you are having but hang in there and you will get plenty of help from the members here to get you going again. You stated you have no manual so I will add that the service manual along with the electrical diagnostic manual will be your best friends in situations like this and I would highly recommend getting them soon as possible.

Like HDDon said some more info. is needed. Along with the info he asked for how many miles are on your bike and when you say "All electrical systems function except that I'm getting no spark." Are you saying that the bike will crank over freely but not start or will not turn over at all?

You will also need to check for diagnostics codes.

Let us know what you come up with.

Bike has 36K miles, yes the bike cranks, gets fuel but absolutley no spark.

As for the diagnostic codes, I was able to access the system but when I use the jumper on the diagnostic interface the check engine light just blinks rapidly about 10 times and pauses for 2-3 seconds and repeats until I shut off the ignition.
The other method I read here to access the diagnostics, holding in the odo reset while turning on the ignition, just results in getting the D01CLr to D10CLr
then PPU and lastly 82883.

I get a momentary 11.90 volts when ignition is turned on but that voltage drops to 0 after 2-3 seconds.

That should not be. If you have circuit breakers and not fuses, that is a place I would look first.
Look at the schematic for which CB feeds the coil supply. Something else on that branch can be pulling it down. 2-3 seconds is not very long, may be a heavy load or just a bad breaker. Are you working with a factory wiring diagram.

That should not be. If you have circuit breakers and not fuses, that is a place I would look first.
Look at the schematic for which CB feeds the coil supply. Something else on that branch can be pulling it down.

Yeah, thought it was weird. Checked all fuses except for the main, all have continuity across the poles.

I'm thinking that possibly the ignition module may be bad since I had to jump start the bike more than a few times before I realized the old battery was bad.

The voltage to the coil is strange because of the way it spikes to almost 12v as soon as the ignition is switched on but goes to 0v within a second or two.

About 18 months ago some idiot ran me off the road, rounding a corner and my choice was either the shoulder or his hood. Dumped the bike at 20mph and flew like superman for 10 feet and made a perfict 3 point landing (hands and crotch) skidded for 10 more feet. The bike had just some minor cosmetic issues and evedently the tilt sensor wasn't damaged since it did it's job and it seems to be ok, put 5k miles on it since then.

If you find a schematic on the internet I can link to, the problem should not be too bad to sort out..

STF means your fuel injected correct?

Back