free website stats program 01 1200XLC HARD Shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

01 1200XLC HARD Shifting

AZsporty

I have a 2001 sportster and I recently took it in to the dealer to have the oil changed and the primary fluid changed. I recently got the bike and did not know the last time this was done. Anyway I also asked that they adjust the clutch as I could not get into nuetral with the bike running. Now the bike doesn't want to shift in second gear at all. I feel like I (EDIT) near broke ny ankle trying to get it to shift. It seems to be worse when the bike is cold, and it's not every gear - all are hard sifts, but first to second is really bad. Any ideas on the cause and solution to this one. I feel unsafe and I have to pull so hard to shift .

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The clutch adjustment was done wrong. Readjust the clutch or take it back to them and let them fix it.

Thank you - Can this be a problem with the cable too? Just curious as this is my first Harley and I have been fight this shifting issue - seems to be getting worse over time. How can one tell if the cable is about to break, etc. if it's streching and that is causing this maybe replacement is a good preventative step?
Also I want to apologize for violation of the language policy on my intial post. Won't happen again.

Difficult to tell if the inner cable is fraying unless you run out of adjustment on the cable adjuster or if it is near the end of the adjustment to remove the slack in the cable.

If it's getting worse over time and the clutch adjustment doesn't cure it, consider replacing the cable.

Thanks I used your directions and adjusted the clutch. THis wwas easy and worked well - but only for one shift. I was able to shift nto second gear but as soon as I downshifted - the bike will not shift into second gear again. I don't know if that can be fuild related or if I just need to have the whole clutch assembly replaced. I just want to ride ....any ideas? help?

When all is said and done, what position is the cable slack adjuster in when you are finished. Is it near the end of the adjustment or is there a lot left?

Possible the cable is stretching or even breaking and should be replaced being you said it worked for one shift after the adjustment.

I think the problem must be in your gearbox because you can change up thru the gears on most bikes without using the clutch.

Back