free website stats program Why is my starter getting hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is my starter getting hot

Pete71

Hello there again.
I bought a new battery for my bike and when i try to start , The cables are getting hot same the battery and starter motor. my old battery was a 19 amp and now i got a 16 amp. But could it be that i need to make one more ground cable to the starters housing as now the only ground cable goes direct to the frame ?

I'm really not one to discuss electrical problems but I have found that usually checking all the connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Sometimes old cables will corrode where you can't see and that will build up heat.

Have you modified the battery cable system? What is the proper battery per application and why would you install a different battery. Has problem been going on for a while. Adding another ground is going to add more load to system. Not sure what is meant by battery cables and starter are equally hot.

The thing is that this bike havent runned for about 8 years, There was no cables on the starter and no ground cable except one that goes from frame to gearbox.And what i have readed ppl seems to use alkinda batteries from 16 amp upto 22 amp on their bikes.Dont i have to get the engine running to check the regulator ? cause i wont get it to run, the pistons goes 1 run and then the solenoid start to hack like crazy..

Your battery is too small. Get a higher amp-hr rated battery. Your overloading your battery causing higher current draw due to lowering the voltage more and creating more heat.

Your battery is too small. Get a higher amp-hr rated battery. Your overloading your battery causing higher current draw due to lowering the voltage more and creating more heat.

Totally agree, replace with battery meant for that bike. Charge completely before attempting to start and use a battery tender when bike is not used.

The starter is drawing tOO much from TOO small of a battery

The thing is that this bike havent runned for about 8 years, There was no cables on the starter and no ground cable except one that goes from frame to gearbox.And what i have readed ppl seems to use alkinda batteries from 16 amp upto 22 amp on their bikes.

You need a 26Ah battery rated at least 400CCA. Check and clean battery negative to ground and positive to starter connections; make sure they are tight and clean. After sitting for 8 years without starting, I would pull the starter and clean it up, lube the bushings, clean brushes, solenoid housing, etc. Put all back together and problem should be solved.

I have cleaned everything the whole winter, so i need to go and buy a new battery now :) Thx for the replys guys

Back