free website stats program SE Air Cleaner Kit - Crankcase breather option | Harley Davidson Forums

SE Air Cleaner Kit - Crankcase breather option

TQuentin1

Staff member
I have up-graded the Air Cleaner on my '12 Ultra Classic to the SE high-flow one (see pix below). This kit includes the mounting bolts shown in the first set of photos below that are hollow with a port in the side that vents the crankcase to the air cleaner and engine cylinder intake through ports in the back plate. This allows the oily mist from the crankcase to be sucked into the cylinders and "burned". But I do not like this for a couple of reasons:
  1. The oily crankcase vapor accumulates in the air filter area and eventually drips out of the A/C cover onto the engine making a mess
  2. Burning the oily mist in the engine contributes to carbon buildup and fouling of the IAC over time
So I decided to replace these mounting bolts with the OEM ones from the original backing plate that look like the second set of photos below. Those are also hollow, but they do not have a port in the side of the bolt but rather have a nipple on the end of the bolt (see pix). So I used some fuel hose from the auto parts store and routed that out from behind the cover and down between the engine and the tranny on the right side below the engine about 3 inches (see last 3 pix below). So any venting of the crankcase now blows down below the bike.

upload_2017-9-11_20-47-56.png upload_2017-9-11_20-48-38.png
upload_2017-9-11_20-51-1.png upload_2017-9-11_20-38-6.png

upload_2017-9-11_21-12-30.png

upload_2017-9-12_9-47-23.png

upload_2017-9-12_9-48-4.png

upload_2017-9-12_9-48-53.png

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
TQ
Also did this last season on my bike, 08 softail, with hollow breather bolts, the intake is staying mighty clean these days. From the 2 breather bolts led hose to a t fitting then single hose down to frame. Only caveat..not EPa compliant.

Looks good TQ, I did mine a few years back and used the original banjo bolts.
The only thing I did was drilled out the hole down the middle of the bolts a little bigger and slid the hose over the end.
I probably didn't have to enlarge the hole but I think things flow a little better now.

Yeah. Oh well!! Got a fueler (EJK) on the bike too so I can richen up the AFR.

Cheers,

TQ
Yup that's the way to go. Vance and Hines fuelpak on my softy. Big improvement on low rpm throttle response and runs cooler, oil tank not nearly as hot.

I think I am gonna have to reroute my crankcase vent hose lines across the top of the tranny over to the left side of the engine/tranny and then down towards the ground. The current setup gets the hose too close to the exhaust pipe and it may even be touching. I am worried that the pipe might actually burn through the hose and then potentially ignite the oil vapor/liquid in that hose!!!.

I may be able to use some lighter hose since it will not be near the pipes after rerouting them.

Done!! Just rerouted hoses forward rather than back. See pix.

Cheers,

TQ

upload_2017-9-14_16-28-0.png

upload_2017-9-14_16-29-8.png

upload_2017-9-14_16-29-45.png

Last edited:
Just how I ran mine but I ran it a little farther back along the frame just behind the foot board.
Good job.:)

Hey T.Q. I'm on my way to getting done with this. Since I didn't want to get rid of my current breather I had the spacers modified with drain fittings as well as the breather bolt holes plugged and redrilled. The only thing is that the fittings are rather big.....3/8 inner. So I was wondering if I could put a reducing tee in and go from 3/8 To 1/4 inch id. Do you think that 1/4 would be enough for a little drip?
Bob

1/4" will work fine; you are just venting the crankcase, very low pressure and volume. If the top end is tight, you might not ever see a "drip".

Back