free website stats program Let's see some data on batteries | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's see some data on batteries

TQuentin1

Staff member
OK, Folks:

Let's see some real data on our experience with batteries. I would like actual data, not just impressions. Here is what I would like to see:
  • Brand and model
  • Install date (mo. / yr.)
  • Replacement date (mo. / yr.)
  • Years of service
  • Type of use the bike gets (daily ride, weekends, occasional long trip, etc.)
  • Tender used and how often (daily, periodic, storage, etc.)
  • Type of tender (Battery Tender Jr., other, none, etc.)

Here is my info:

Odyssey PC925LMJ,04/06,10/10,4.5,Daily ride,On tender daily,Battery Tender Jr.

Once I have enough data in this format (comma delimited), I will pull it into a spreadsheet and feed that back out to everyone.

TQ

Last edited:
OK, Folks:

Let's see some real data on our experience with batteries. I would like actual data, not just impressions. Here is what I would like to see:
  • Brand and model
  • Install date (mo. / yr.)
  • Replacement date (mo. / yr.)
  • Years of service
  • Type of use the bike gets (daily ride, weekends, ocasional long trip, etc.)
  • Tender used and how often (daily, periodic, storage, etc.)
  • Type of tender (Battery Tender Jr., other, none, etc.)

TQ

Brand and model: Sears DieHard (DieEasy) Wet acid #50-N18L-A3
Install date: 7/08 (Made in China!!!!) paid $61.00
Replacement date: 3/10
Years of service: 1 1/2 :(
Type of bike/use: FLHTC evo 1340 stage 1, 3-5 days a week + long runs
Tender used and how often: Battery Tender Jr., Winter storage
Type of tender: Battery Tender Jr.

I have another battery; Yuasa # (have to take of seat) smaller maybe a #16
Install date: 11/97 (came w/bike)
Replacement date: not yet but soon....is getting weak if off the Tender for a few weeks.
Years of service: 13 :D
Type of bike/use: S&S 96" evo stroker, 12:1 comp, no releases, High torque starter, 1 day a week
Tender used and how often: Battery Tender Jr., All the time + Winter storage
Type of tender: Battery Tender Jr.

07 Streetbob OEM battery ride everyday never hooked to a tender, will replace with OEM battery when voltage drops below 9 volts on load test:p Sears motorcycle batteries are currently still a Yausa knock off, we should be betting Deka AGM in stock soon, Capital Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Brand and model = Harley Davidson OEM Battery and original one for Sportster XL1200R
  • Install date (mo. / yr.) = OEM battery dated 10 / 03
  • Replacement date (mo. / yr.) = Still going, garaged/daily driver
  • Years of service = 7 years - (had about 2 years and put 10,000+ miles)
  • Type of use = Bike usage (Daily driver for work, weekends, ocasional long trips)
  • Tender used / how often ( Deltran Battery Tender / once a month )
  • Type of tender (Battery Tender Deluxe - potted one for Jet Ski rugged environ.)
  • Southern California - 11 mo riding season

Last edited:
* Bike = '06 Deuce (EFI)
* Brand and model = Harley Davidson OEM
* Install date (mo. / yr.) = OEM battery dated 07 / 05
* Replacement date (mo. / yr.) = Still going, garaged/daily driver
* Years of service = 5 years
* Type of use = Bike usage (Daily driver for work, weekends, ocasional long trips)
* Tender used / how often Whenever the bike sits more than a day + all winter.
* Type of tender = Battery Tender Deluxe

When the OEM battery is replaced I use only Interstate batteries in all my rides.

Pricing is cheaper then OEM. The batteries, IMO, are better quality. All of my bikes are on smart chargers, TecMate Optimate 4s. They get hooked up after the cool off.

I have one battery that is 5.5 years old and is still in great condition. A good quality battery and a smart charger are the way to go.

- O.E.M battery, new with the '07 Dyna in September, 2007.
- 40,944 miles as of 11/9/10 at an indy shop, tested at 12.97 volts and 297 CCA. Comment from mechanic (Street Glide rider) to consider replacing due to age.
- Daily rider year 'round, with multiple long day and overnight rides plus at least one multi-week ride.
- Battery Tender Jr. used after every ride. In use for the past 18 months after I won it in a dealer drawing.

- 40,944 miles as of 11/9/10 at an indy shop, tested at 12.97 volts and 297 CCA. Comment from mechanic (Street Glide rider) to consider replacing due to age.
- Daily rider year 'round, with multiple long day and overnight rides plus at least one multi-week ride.
- Battery Tender Jr. used after every ride. In use for the past 18 months after I won it in a dealer drawing.

Your call, of course, but I would say you have a lot more service left on that battery based on the way you take care of it. However, only you know your situation and the hardship involved if the battery has an unplanned failure.

TQ

tested at 12.97 volts and 297 CCA.

Something's not right. The battery can't have 12.97 across a pair of open terminals. And how did he come up with a number like 297 CCA? Both numbers make no sense to me.

Back