free website stats program 2007 touring leaking primary seal | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 touring leaking primary seal

mc9395

I hope i,m in the right spot for this post as it falls in general and twin cam. Here's my problem this is a 2007 full dresser touring bike and the primary seal will not stop leaking thru the inner primary seal even after 4 changes. It acts like there is pressure building up in the primary but the primary vent hose is venting even to the point of running a long hose from the vent to a jar of water and yes it does put out occasional bubbles. This is how it all started. A man brought me this bike to change the starter to all balls and the new screaming eagle compensator to get rid of all the racket from the comp. All went well new seals and gaskets by the book and he left on his trip. About 1500 miles later he was back with a primary leak. At tear down yes the primary seal was leaking at the bearing race. Then I noticed the race and bearing went bad on the trip,due to the retaining ring blocking the oil supply hole, no problem change seal 12052a, bearing 9135, and race 34091-06 and reassemble. All other seals dry. Test ride and leaks in 10 miles again. Ok maybe engine sprocket seal is leaking and pressurizing primary so change front seal and new primary seal and this time use dino primary oil instead of Amsoil 20-50. Ride 15 miles and still leaking. Any ideas Thanks

IF you are talking INNER primary Bottom leak???????

These inner bolts on the bottom have washer/Seals/gaskets to stop oil from leaking out......

Did you replace them or not install them...?.?.?.

IF you just put in the bolt and No seal they will leak out there.

signed....BUBBIE

added: Primary vents out thru the tranny tube..... Primary vents thru the clutch rod assy....into the tranny...

First off I cross ref. bearing #9135 to 4 speed primaries. The '07 says it is #9231. I could be wrong. The inner race # 34091-06 is correct but has a spacing requirement from the end of the main drive gear to prevent it from taking out the small seal in it, and centering on the the primary bearing.
Next thing I would do is remove the belt off the drive pulley to relieve the tension.Grab hold of the main drive gear/pulley and see if you move it up,down, or side ways. If you can then the main drive gear bearing, in the tranny housing, is shot. This would cause a wobble of the shaft at the primary bearing. Normally the tranny would be leaking also. You need special tools for 6 speeds to remove & replace it. 5 sped stuff won't work. Different bearing set up for the 6 speeds.
tourbox

Thanks Tourbox bearing 9231 is what I should have listed. It is for sure the primary seal and I did remove the belt pulley and by hand I can get .002 movement and about .005 with fork tube as a cheater pipe. Thanks

I am wondering if you replaced the thrust washer and sprocket shaft spacer. If the original compensator nut (during the problems with the original compensator) had come loose it can damage the mating surfaces between them and even the rotor for the alternator can be damaged . Then the engine oil can leak between the spacer and the crankshaft into the primary case. I am not saying this is what is happening in the bike you are working on but consider it as a possibility. Good luck

Back